What info do you need when you buy a title for a car ?

I bought a car with my own money with my dad when I was in high school . However when he was doing paper work he put his name as the owner of the car. Also he pays for the insurance. So recently he’s been saying he’s going to take the title off the car because he doesn’t want me driving it for some dumb reason .. But now my father is trying to tell me I can’t drive it. Anyway I’m trying to go buy my own title for my car that I’ve drove for 6 years since I did buy it with my money. So I need to know what paperwork or information do I need to buy this title to put on my car.

• Edna

It doesn't matter that you've driven the car for 6 years and it doesn't matter that you paid for the car with your own money.  Your dad's name is shown on the Title as the owner  and he pays for the insurance - HE is the legal owner of the car; you aren't.  Your dad can take the car away from you at any time he wants to - it's HIS car. 

You can't "buy" the Title. Your dad has to sign off on the Title (which releases the Title to you) and hand you the signed-off Title. Then, you take the signed-off Title and go down and pay to register the car in your own name. A new Title will then be issued in your name. You will then have Title to the car, and you will be the legal owner of the car. 

• car253

You just go to the DMV and get a duplicate title.   You might want to post your state for more help.    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/06/reg2...

• May

You cannot "buy" a title for a car.  Titles are issued.  To get a title for that car in your name would require Dad to sign off on the present title and name you as the new owner.  Then you would take that title to your DMV and get a new title for it in your name.

You don't "buy titles" for a car jojo. If his name is on the title you have no way to prove you own the car. My advice is to move out and live with a friend. Save up and buy another cheap ride.

Its his car and it will remain his car unless he signs it over to someone else. You can do nothing without his signature. Makes no difference who paid for it.

You can't simply "buy" a title for the car, because it is not your car.  It is his car, for now.

You did not "buy" yourself a car.  You bought your father a car. What I mean is that he owns the car and you do not.  Putting it in his name makes it his.  If you want a title in your name, you're going to buy the car (again), but this time you will have to buy it from him.

A new title is issued when the people on the present title sign off.  Your father would sign the title over to you, you would go to DMV, you would get a new title.

He doesn't sign off?  You don't get the title.

It's just that easy.

Here's the other problem - you committed a hit and run a few months back.  You admit to the hit and run.  There is video of the hit and run.  If YOU are not visible in the video the titled owner of the car will be cited by the Police.  That's your father.  He is protecting himself and his insurance from future incidents.

It's a tough lesson to learn.

• Eva

You can't buy a title for a car. You are confusing the terms title and registration. Your father would have to sign over the title to you so that you could register the car in your own name. A new title would be issued indicating that you were now the owner.

You don't buy a title for a car, you transfer it.  You dad would have to sign over the title of the car, which usually involves him going to the DMV with you or signing the title in front of a Notary.