Do both seller and co seller have to sign bill of sale ?

I have the signature of the co seller on my bill of sale but not the other seller, is this okay or do I need both signatures.

• Edna

I don't know what state you're in. In my state (Texas) you don't even need a Bill of Sale, in a private sale. All you need to register the car in your name is the Title that has been signed over to you by the seller.

Co-seller?  Do you mean joint owner owner of the car?  Are there two names shown on the Title? Does the Title show Joe Jones and Jane Jones as owners? If so, then you need both signatures on a Bill of Sale. If the Title shows Joe Jones and/or Jane Jones, then you need the signature of only one of the owners. 

Yes, if there is an "and" between the names on the title. Not if there is an "or".

That depends entirely on the laws of the state / province that you live in. 

• car253

You need to post your state for the right answer

• May

A bill of sale in most U.S. states isn't required and as such is not worth the paper it is written on.  Rather, the most important thing is a properly filled out title.

The title is all you need to worry about. The bill of sale isn't necessary for a sale but I always get one to show that the car has been sold and one signature would be all right. 

• Scott

Where I live, only the sellers sign in front of a notary 

• Snezzy

Generally both. You've not said where you live, and the laws relating to purchase and sale of vehicles are not uniform. Finding a local expert, perhaps a notary public, would be best. In many places it is necessary to have the notarized signature of the seller on the certificate of title. Your local Notary will know.

You need both! Don't put yourself in the situation were the seller says I did not give my permission you go get your money back and your money is gone

You need both signatures in MOST cases IF it is jointly owned.