Atheists do you at least believe in a higher power?

OF COURSE THEY DON'T...THEY WOULD RATHER BLASPHEME AND THEN FAIL JUDGMENT.

• jimmy

Atheists don't believe in gods or deities. The only higher power would be the supreme court.

If we believed in a 'higher power', we wouldn't be atheist.

There are atheists that believe in a number of things - but most tend to be skeptical of anything 'supernatural', especially when there is no evidence to support (or compelling reason to infer) its existence.

In the past I pondered the existence of a higher power - like a 'universal consciousness' or something (ala 'pantheism'), but that's the closest I got.  Inferring the existence of an infinitely more complex 'creator' in order to explain the existence and complexity of the universe is redundant.

• Phil M

Higher as in supernatural? No. Magic can only exist in ones imagination.

No.

There are probably beings stronger than me, somewhere in the universe, but they're not going to help me, even if I start mentally grovelling to them about my problems.

And my problems won't just disappear because I accept/acknowledge higher entities. On the evolutionary scale, sentience is as high as you can get. Who knows if we can push it further, we have no examples from reality to speculate on. We're still stuck on this dying rock.

Maybe that'll change, once humanity stops looking for a higher power, and tries acting responsibly with its own power. To an animal, humans are a pretty high power, or at the very least, a competitive apex predator. If we could translate their thoughts/noises into human speech, do you think they'd be impressed with what we've done?

Since there is no evidence that suggests anything like that, then no, I don't believe in it.

True Atheists do not believe in a higher power. But many religions, like Buddhism do not accept a Christian God as painted in the Sistine Chapel, but accept a higher power. 

I call myself a Theist, because it is one step up from Agnostic.  I believe there is a God, but I don't know which of the 4200 different religions in the world describes God(s) correctly.  

I don't plan to determine this.  I don't want to go to hell because I guessed wrong.

• EddieJ

A "higher power" is an ambiguous term, but typically refers to a god who is not the Abrahamic god.

So, no.  But if you have a different definition, you could provide it.

I have no reason to believe that our universe wasn't formed by entirely natural processes.  The energy that makes up our universe has always existed in some form.  It was not created.  Time is probably circular.

Nope,  not at all. 

Yeah my dad is above me in power and money.