Kevin asked in Social ScienceSociology · 1 month ago

Is it true that many people in higher and authority positions like teachers, parents, cops, and doctors dont practice what they preach!?

they are o0nly there for the Power

• RP

It's true that people in any position are not always true to their beliefs, but, for those occupations mentioned, they limit of their hypocrisy is that point where such inconsistency could constitute abuse of authority. That is what no society can tolerate or accept.

A good friend of mine is a police officer.  He only enforces laws when he is on duty.  If he is off duty, if you wanted to drive recklessly in the nude while smoking crack cocaine, he would not arrest or cite you for it.

I am an educator and research methodologist, and while I preach the scientific method and verifying your sources, I am not going to do formal research while casually BSing with my friends.  

Parents, meanwhile, are probably trying to keep you safe and out of trouble with the law.  But if they have a hankering for something illegal, they might take a calculated risk to do it.

• Paul

Yes, sadly it is sometimes true. But it is irrational to judge everyone in a particular category as guilty because of the crimes of the few.

• Isabel

Sometimes.  But it’s important to remember that folks often have a lot of regrets about their bad habits and tendencies.  They want you do be able to be better without being burdened by their negative tendencies.

• Bobo

Of course.  I would say that most do.  Ideals are simply the goal.  Reality is another matter.  That does not mean that it is ok to behave poorly, it means that human behavior is only as perfect as the human. 

You forgot MPs ........

• y

That is very true but in some situations, it has to do more with old habits. Easier said then done and such.