Which years are the good wine years?

I've only ever had a couple sips of wine in my life but I always hear people who are wine experts saying stuff like "that was a good year". I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about if someone ever offers me some wine so I was wondering if anyone knows what all the good wine years are?

• Walt

if the grapes have a good year the the wine is good but that bottle be a lot of money. but go by your taste

• David

It varies by location and varietal.  Get a subscription to Wine Spectator and read it cover to cover for 10 years and then if you are not too dumb you will be able to sound like you know what you are talking about.

Too many variables including region and type of wine.

Source(s): My sister in law used to work on a vineyard in France.

>)*,*(<

Wińe is good any time of the year sô lońg

ýa ťruly do practice moderation & limit yôur

ôwn dřinking intake but that's only my ôwn

Opiniôn !!

,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

It's not like that!

A vineyard that produces GOOD quality wine will have some years when the wine is considered “better” than other years. The grapes would be affected by the weather, the amount of water available, when they were picked etc. There are other factors too that cause variation in the wine.

Which years are considered “good” depends on the individual wine. There are no “good” or “bad” years for wine generally.

It's very subjective to the type, area, and to some degree taste preferences. I don't know all the details of every type but the general idea might be like Muscat grapes are much better when they are sweeter, made that way from lots of dry heat. Have you ever picked wild berries during a cold year? So if 2016 was a record hot and dry year in Spain but a very cold and wet year in Australia at the same time, a "good year" for Spanish muscato would be 2016 whereas Australian muscato from 2016 would be a "bad year."

People literally go to college and get internships over this. So don't kill me, guy who started watching Wine Wars on A&E 2 weeks ago.

I have seen lists but they change annually and there is a different list for each type of wine produced where vintage makes a difference. Vintage is meaningless for places like California and is not even listed on the label most of the time.

Just enjoy the wine with as many of your senses as you can.

• kswck2

Depends on the brand name and the grapes. SOme years are better than others. 

• CB

" I was wondering if anyone knows what all the good wine years are" Yes they are called sommeliers and have years of training and more years of tasting. 

All you have to do to look like you know what you are talking about you have to know how to taste the wine - use the "five S" steps: see, swirl, sniff, sip, savor" then just say hmmm, 'flinty with a touch of (some fruit, like pear for white wine, cherry or berries for red wine). Then leave the room so you don't have to discuss it further.

OR

Use my method from advice passed down by Samuel Clemons; "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

There isn't any list of good years, because what's a good year for one kind of wine, or for the wine from one area, may not be a good year for a different kind of wine or a wine from a different area. California, for example, doesn't get the same weather each year as the south of France does. There are many areas of the world where wine grapes are grown, and there are many different kinds of wine.

And if you have only ever had a couple of sips of wine in your life, there is no way in the world for you to know what you're talking about with wine.