Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Can you modify a FWD car to make it 4WD?

Like doing it with a Camry or something

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Me an my buddies have done some crazy cool makeshift conversions. Between all of us we have enough skills an tools to do it ourselves an one owns a salvage yard. It’s not realistic for most people. Safety standards might also be a issue if you want a daily driver. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would have to be very fuckKingg drunk and nutso to want to go through the effort to do this when 4wd & AWD cars are available much cheaper.

• 1 month ago

technically ..yes .though costs of doing so will not be favourable and may well be  prohibitive at best.  never worth doing in almost 99% of cases. 

• 1 month ago

It is theoretically possible.

Buying a new car that is already 4wd will cost less.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The cost would be prohibitive. There are no "off the shelf" parts for this.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Yes you can! But you need to be nuts as it would be much cheaper to buy a 4WD car.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Even though this reeks of troll, I'll still answer it seriously...anything is possible but considering the time, effort, and fabrication required to make a custom 4WD or AWD version from a FWD platform and powertrain would be far more expensive and time consuming compared to selling the old one and buying another vehicle.

• Ian K
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In 99% of the cases, you build a new car from more or less scratch, and slap the body on top of it.  So if you can build frames/subframe, steering/suspension systems, drivelines from nothing (i.e. build and design a car from scratch), you might be able to do it.

A few exceptions are for FWD cars with AWD/4WD option.  Then you buy a AWD/4WD version and transfer parts over and scrap the rest of the donor vehicle...

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It is possible but it would be way to expensive to do (including the electronics).

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you can do anything if you can torch weld and fabricate  and have the time and money ..... one day in the future i plan to modify my accord and put a chevy small block in it with rear wheel drive ..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.