Maya asked in HealthOther - Health · 4 weeks ago

Dad is in hospital for Coronavirus doctors want me to pull the plug, does this make sense?

My dad start having symptoms of corona virus on 6/11/2020. I sent him to the hospital and they kept him because he’s 65+. He got a lot better so they let him out, however after being home for 1 week and a half he fell terribly ill his breathing was so bad I called the ambulance at 2 am. The next day the doctor told me they put him in medical coma but everything was fine. Fast forward to today they tell me that he won’t wake up out of his coma and that I should pull the plug. This doesn’t make sense his brain is completely healthy, he’s not brain dead. His breathing is very bad and he won’t wake up out of the coma. Would you pull the plug on your loved one and they’re not even brain dead? Why are the doctors so eager to give up so fast? I’m hurting and I really just need different point of views.

ok is 60 , and had a stroke 3 years ago , ate the doctor who saved me , its hard for a loved one to comprehend , but if there is no chance for full recovery then whats the use of going bankrupt over the inevable , do  the humane thing and let go.

My mom is 84 years old and she got the coronavirus. They also wanted to pull the plug although they were very subtle when expressing this thought. I felt horrified to hear it. Luckily my sister is a doctor. We stood there firmly for my mom. As soon as they knew my sister was a doctor and that I was always around watching everything that was done closely, they put some more serious effort. 

Now, she survived the COVID 19 and she is ok. 

The experience made me realize how fragile was the life of an old person. You are educated to think that the doctor or the police stand there for you but that is not the case always. When you are alone and old, it is you and God. Lucky you if you have family members. Yes, some places will take you out of the circulation with a morphine shot. We had the previous experience of my dad. He always went to the doctor to make health checks. He never had anything wrong. They always told him he was ok. Then, he started having dementia and his health dropped like a rock. One month before his death, he was surprisingly diagnosed with lung cancer. They gave him a morphine shot. I have to assume the he really had lung cancer. In his case, I think it was fortunate for him to have cancer because dementia is something you don't want to see. So, he departed this world with no pain. 

In the case of my mom, we stood there like guards, day and night, she is ok now. She is old and the rest of it but she is there.

During the COVID 19 in Italy, many old people was killed by the doctors simply because they didn't have enough room in the hospitals for younger ones. When the cases went down and things were under control, people started suing the hospitals for killing loved ones intentionally. 

We like to think we are in a civilized world but we are just hypnotized to think like that. When you wake up and you see the truth about how things really are, it is shocking and life changing experience. People living in wars they go through this realization more often because everything they have been taught is not there. They see ugly human nature in its wildest form.

You don’t want him as a vegetable, but yet it’s a hard hard choice. My dad said similar when he broke his hip on the ice up north, he was about same age.  You need to discuss this with someone that’s not family.     Talk to a minister.  Gosh in crying and I don’t know him.  Find out more  also he should be eligible for morphine ,   Praying 🙏 for you, hold up strong for him keep us updated..

Your dad is suffering, pull the plug.

Source(s): Hospice nurse

You need to ask more questions. Ask why he won't wake up of the coma, ask what kind of damage you're looking at. Have them explain it to you in detail. If you don't understand the medical speak, ask them to explain it to you in a way that you can understand.

Right now, you're pretty much in the dark and that's not a time to make a decision like this. You need to understand what's going on. Bring someone with you, so that there are two of you there, because when you're upset or shocked, you don't always process information that well, and you often forget to ask important questions. If you know someone with a scientific or medical background, then even better, because they will be able to "translate" for you and know what to ask.

All the very best to you and your father.

• Andy C

I don't envy your situation.   My wife was faced with a similar situation when it was I who was put in a medical coma.

I want to make this clear: doctors are only there to HELP.  They do not get their jollies by killing people.   Medical comas are used to allow for the best possible environment for the body to heal itself. 

Ending life support should only be considered when all other avenues of medical help have been exhausted.   Speak directly to the doctor and other doctors on the team about your father's true condition before making any decision. 

65 is old.   Odds of surviving surgery, anesthesia,  brain trauma,  head trauma,  injuries in general decrees as we age and begin to do so in our late 20s.

Your emotions say different,  and that 65 isn't that old, but our species' life expectancy used to only be in the 40s for the most.   We haven't changed our DNA; we've just changed our ability to cope with infirmities. 

Novel coronavirus means new coronavirus,  which means that we simply don't know,  but much evidence is coming to fruition that this virus causes major neurological problems and those are the worst in ok old age.

Medical situations and prognoses are subject to change in the blink of an eye,  especially when dealing with a new illness. 

Talk to the doctors about his prognosis.  I was 31, so I was left on life s UK support AND the illness was a failed liver, which is a VERY well-known illness...and a few doctors on the team felt that MY chances of living NOT in a vegetative state were very small, and they were absolutely right.

I responded to the pyraridostigmine to rouse me from the coma.  You said that your dad didn't.   

I wish I could tell you more, but doing so would only be my experience,  and I would NEVER presume to speak for others or think that my experiences during the coma is akin to anyone else's.   

Talk to the doctors about the most likely outcome. 

Source(s): Me.

Is it possible that the  entire World Governments are involved in collusion, pushing their agenda of euthanasia killing the poor, the sic the diseased the elderly just like the Nazi Army of old. Fear driven   minded Men an Women. Fear mongering

? Anything goes in 2020.

Although the coronavirus is  part of a large virus family, the virus is so new to humans that medical professionals do not know all the signals to prepare people for the dangers the virus can inflict. Patients who survive the coronavirus go home and sometimes about a week later, the patient becomes ill again. Older men and women who survived the virus attack when released from the hospital go home and appear OK. Children of the formerly ill parents will find their parent asleep on the couch and had passed away. I cannot explain why emergency doctors want to disconnect life-providing equipment from your Dad. It may be expensive, but ask the doctors could your Dad be transferred to a Hospice where his condition can be monitored 24 hours a day. If doctors at the hospice repeat what the emergency doctors told you, at least you will know you did your best for your Dad.

harrald

In all likelihood, it really is that bad. But do get another opinion if it doesn't make sense to you yet.

I spent the first month of this year (before the virus) watching my dad slowly suffocate to death in a semi-vegetative state, toward the end unable to eat or drink. Was he brain dead? No. Brain damaged? Definitely. It was hell to watch and damn sure it was no fun for him, and if he had miraculously got his lungs back he would still have been a giant infant. The kicker is, I had enough liquid medication and veiled instructions from the hospice nurse to end his suffering and couldn't bring myself to do it. I still wonder what the more moral answer was.

However you go about it, make peace with your choices and welcome the next chapter in your story. Nature has its own plans.

What a terrible situation for you. I'd tell the doctor you are not willing to do that yet and find out if the hospital has a social worker, ombudsman, or someone else wbo can advise you of your rights and help arrange a second opinion.