Ray asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

If someone explained something to you and you couldn't explain back, what does that usually mean?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Might be ADD. I sometimes get that where I will listen intently but then its as if it all went through one ear and out the other. Its quite frustrating. But weird thing is later I will recall it and it will be like a light bulb.

• 4 weeks ago

The one listening had to possess receptive skill (listen). And had to possess productive skill (speaking) while explaining back. Chances are  that his receptive skills are poor, he understood little,  or he understood well but the productive skill is poor and hence cannot explain back well.

• Isabel
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I think it means that you don't fully understand it.

• Orla
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

He did a real bad job explaining.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Liz
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Lack of understand.

• 1 month ago

It means that while you may have thought you understood while they were explaining it, in fact you haven't "internalised" it. You won't be able to explain it back, or explain it accurately to someone else, until you've "internalised' the information.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It means  you didn't completely understand the explanation. 

• 1 month ago

you do not yet fully grasp what you were trying to learn

• 1 month ago

It means you didn't really understand the explanation. 

• 1 month ago

Try to use smaller steps. This method was made to perfection by Holland and Skinner (Analysis of behavior: a program for self-instruction).

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.