Will turning water heater to "vacation" WHILE my roommate is in the shower shorten the length of her shower?

Yes we have plenty of hot water, and it will not run out. And no, to the best of my knowledge, I do not pay water. (I pay electric and gas), but it's a conservation thing. After she was in there for a half hour tonight, I turned the water heater to "vacation". But her shower has continued. It has now been an hour she's been in there. No it's not the bath, it's the shower. I can tell the difference. So will turning it to vacation shorten her shower... i.e. will she run out of hot water and have to stop?

not likely that she will stop.  electric water heaters have a limited tank capacity ... when the preheated capacity runs out, then the water temp coming out goes down.  all that "vacation" does is turn off the heating element ... but since the entire tank was already full of hot water, the effect of that on the length of her shower is limited.  it will, however, affect how much hot water is available for your use an hour after she gets done ... very little, indeed.  --grampa

No.  It will not impact the temperature of the water in the tank for hours if not days.  You can turn down the temperature slightly -- most people keep their water heater temp higher than it needs to be.

You might just want to act like an adult and have a conversation with your roommate or look at moving to live with people who agree with your conservation ideas.  

It will stop the heater from heating any more water. Assuming you have a tank, the water in the tank will not be effected.

Note: Even if she runs out of hot water, that doesn't guarantee she will shorten her time in the shower. Some people actually like cold showers.

Does your roommate contribute to the bills? If so, it isn’t a conservation thing, it’s a control thing. Well, it’s a control thing either way. You’re choosing to go out of your way to control her actions because you can’t have a simple conversation and make your point understood. 

no

because the tank is full of hot water 

Not enough to matter.  Turn off the hot water from the hot water tank and she gets cold only(red tap on the top of the tank) She will notice immediately. and end the shower. She only gets cold water.  Don't mention a thing.  As soon as she shuts off the shower you can turn the hot water supply on again so the rest of the house can get on with living.

Maybe yelling "hurry up, I got to pee will help"  

Or she is dead.  

Then again if you got one of those shower hoses with the adjustable head and flexible hose, maybe she is getting off on it instead of her dildo?  An hour is a LONG time.  Something that can be done in 5 minutes or less.

Stuff like this makes me wonder why communication and compromise is so hard for some people. It is a skill that will improve your life.

• Barry

Why don't you ring her mobile phone and tell her it's ringing?

No. The water in the tank is still hot and will not cool down that quickly in the Vacation mode.

No.  The water will not cool notably in that time frame.