Why does my car need to be cranked many times to start in morning. Old & new battery behave same. Jump starting works no matter the time.?

The weather isn't very cold (7°c at night) I've tried keeping the battery in the house over night in case it was being drained by the car but it still wouldn't start when I put it back in the morning. At noon it starts right up without a struggle even on the old battery, no need to jump or crank it multiple times even if its been off since the previous day,

The fuel pump check valve is probably bad. Try cycling the key to the ON position (no cranking) for 10 seconds and then OFF. Repeat this 3 times and then try starting the motor. If it starts right away it's a bad check valve. 

Replace the starter.

• martin

The cold weather is having an effect on your car and the whole starting system.