How to switch hard drives from one motherboard to another without having to reinstall Windows?

I'm taking a few 1 tb ssds out of my old i7 2600k build and putting them into a new 3900x build. Is there a way to get the new board to recognize them without having to reinstall? Activating windows again is not an issue

Update:

One drive is running win 7 the other win 10. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

You can run re-activation with new hardware and be good to go. 

Look here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-win...

• When you put an old SSD with the operating system on it you will have problems with drivers. You will have the wrong drivers from the old motherboard that might not be compatible with the new motherboard.

• 1 month ago

Windows is stored on HDD.Because both hard drives have preinstalled Windows i do not think you need to do anything.

• Shadow
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Because Windows binds the OS to the chipset of the mainboard, if you move the drives to a new computer with a different chipset, you would need to run a repair on the OS so that it can clear the binding. Sometimes it will work if you uninstall the drivers for the mainboard but if it doesn't then a repair will be the only thing that'll help without having to reinstall everything.

The repair is run with the normal install method, via bootable disc or USB, and then at the bottom of the initial menu (welcome menu) there is an option to repair an existing installation. Select that and follow the prompts. It's best if you do this on one drive at a time to prevent confusing which drive is which in the interface if it detects both instances.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You need to wipe those hard drives & do a fresh W10 install.

• David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If your windows licence is OEM you may not able to transfer the licence to a new computer, it depends how similar the hardware is, so you will may need to purchase a new key. 

Other than that if you are lucky, using the old boot drive on the new system windows may be able to configure itself to run with the new board after a couple of reboots. Windows 10 is better than windows 7 in this respect.

• 1 month ago

if you type this on the search bar it might show you how to do it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.