Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Help I don’t know what to do with my daughter.?

My 19 year old and I got into a heated argument the night of July 3rd. It was over a miscommunication through text between the both of us. She called me into her room and apologized the next day and I apologized too. Then she went on to tell me that she cut her arm the night of the argument because she was so mad. I told her to show me her stupid *** decisions and she showed me her arm. It looked so bad. I didn’t even know what to say to her. I was so furious at her for the ways she handles her anger. We have not talked at all since that conversation on July 4th. She has not come out of her room for anything at all besides to use the restroom. No, i don’t check on her because that’s what she wants. She has not eaten since July 2nd. It’s been 4 days since she has eaten anything. I asked her this morning if she was hungry and all she kept saying was no I’m okay mom. I know she loves me a lot we are very close. I love her too but she always doubts my love for her because I adopted her and she’s not biologically mine. What do I do. How can I help my daughter. Why is she doing this. Why has my daughter not eaten or got out of bed in 4 days. I don’t understand and I don’t know what to do anymore. Please I need some advice. 

She also has a concussion right now so I’m very worried about her not eating. Usually she gets really dizzy and passes out when she doesn’t eat. 

• Carmen

Has any medical or professional advice been part of her life? Cutting herself is not a good method to deal with situations. Is her father around or grandparents etc that could talk with her if applicable? Any siblings older than her for help or advice? Pray over the matter seriously please for guidance and strength to cope with this difficult situation in a positive peaceful manner so things works out better between you and your daughter. Not checking on her more often could results in her feeling like you don't care and possibly result in you walking in her room one day and finding her unresponsive. There is definitely a issue here I hope it works out for you both. 

Can you ask her best friend, grandparent, father, or  another favourite relative who isn't QUITE so emotionally involved to call her? 

Grow a spine and tell your daughter that if she doesn't start eating and stop cutting you'll be calling social welfare to put her on a psych hold. If this is just an act she'll get it together. If she's truly mentally unwell and can't moderate her behavior at least she'll get a diagnosis and can begin treatment. 

• Honestly, your daughter sounds like she should speak to a medical professional as soon as possible... good luck.

Call for a mental health crisis unit to come and talk to her at home. She may get angry about it, but those people are qualified and educated on how to handle her feelings in order to help her through this. I would also leave plates of snacks/meals outside her door for her to let her know that you care and that youre here for her.

• mikey

There is no easy answer to people that self harm when they are in crisis mode. I have seen it many times working in a prison for 26yrs. Most age out of it when they get old, tired, scared up etc. There is no counseling or magic answer. Even doctors/psychs can do much other than drugs/sedation. Any other family member she is close to? A friend of her? Someone other than you?

maybe she should get some counseling

So your daughter has a bad self inflicted wound, isn't eating or drinking, tends to get dizzy and pass out and is locked in her bedroom?  And she's not biologically your child?  I'd ignore her until she either comes out or dies.

• A

you both need counseling, get some

Dad Joke

A specific type of single line dry humor that is primarily used by fathers.

The Dad Joke is a pejorative term to describe a corny or predictable joke, typically a pun. Generally inoffensive, Dad Jokes are traditionally told by fathers among family, either with sincere humorous intent, or to intentionally provoke a negative reaction.

It is important to note that said antidotes and jokes are unrelated to those intended to be about fathers; rather, the Dad Joke is a single line of irony or direct correlated humor, created by and demonstrated by the father, or dad, himself.

An example of one of the most common Dad Jokes is as follows: A child will say to the dad, "I am hungry," to which the dad will reply, "Hi, Hungry, I am Dad." Many Dad Jokes are considered to be anti-jokes, deriving humor from an intentionally unfunny punchline.

Term Origination: The Dad Joke has been the cause of much controversy throughout the decades since origination. A man in Florida was actually banned from Walt Disney World due to the use of a Dad Joke. Bernard Lakritz is credited as being the originator of the Dad Joke in 1949 with the term spreading into general use, receiving mentions in Australian quiz show Spicks And Specks, and American sitcom How I Met Your Mother.