Does belief stem from knowledge, or does knowledge stem from belief?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Jeremy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I'd say neither.

What we claim to know is a subset of the things we believe.  Knowledge is composed of the beliefs that we have sufficient justification for saying are true.  And it's our experiences with reality that inform both.

So, for example, I can say I believe you have money in your wallet.  And this is informed by me experiences of people keeping money in wallets.  But, I don't claim to know that, because I haven't seen yours.

If however you show me it, then I can claim to know, as this is sufficient justification for knowing the claim is true.

• User
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Both

quite often.

Beliefs are almost always based on knowledge of SOME evidence

(no matter how weak or disreputable said evidence).

Knowledge

very often

"sprouts" as belief

and is later confirmed

by the believer.

• 1 month ago

Unfortunately, BELIEF precedes knowledge, then belief blocks knowledge. Its best when KNOWLEDGE become BELIEF. We must refine our parents beliefs. As everything else around us advances: medicine, technology, etc..., so should theology.

• sarah
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

we need to study the bible and acquire knowledge.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Belief has no place in the vocabulary of scientifically minded individuals..

• 1 month ago

Faith (belief) is a product of the divine grace that God provides freely to all. 

• 1 month ago

Faith is a willingness, even an eagerness, to find out for ourselves.  Knowledge comes from faith.

• 1 month ago

Beliefs don't need to have anything to do with knowledge. It's more than possible to believe without knowing.

So far as I'm aware though, it can't really work the other way around. If I know something, do I have a choice about believing it?

• 1 month ago

How can you believe in something you do not know anything about?

Romans 10:14 says, "... how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?"

Knowledge comes from hearing.

Verse 17 also says, "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

So, not only does knowledge come from hearing, but faith comes from hearing.

So, at least partkt, both belief and knowledge come from the same source.

• Jea
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Knowledge stems from facts, and the study thereof.

Belief is only a direction to look, the word means you don't really know.  One may well 'believe' many things that are not true.  They may even think that belief is knowledge, but it isn't.  Knowledge needs no belief at all.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.