Which would bend first a contol arm, strut, or subframe?

I have a 97 camry that has unwanted negative camber on the front passenger side wheel. I got an alignment and was told something was bent and to get a strut, steering knuckle, and control arm from the junk yard. But a buddy of mine looked at it and hes telling me that my subframe is bent. 

I was told to get the strut steering knuckle and control arm from the junkyard as a cheap way of checking to see if there was any underlying damage that would require more serious work

• Neil

It depends on what caused the bending - what was hit, at what impact speed, by what part of the car, and in what direction.

If the subframe is bent so bad that you can see it with your eyes it's time for a new subframe...or car. You didn't state how far off the camber is. I've ground the strut holes that attach to the steering knuckle to allow the camber to be adjusted which is what the alignment shop should have tried if they are worth a damn.

• Dan

Very possible the subframe is bent, and to disagree strongly with Geo, the strut mount doesn't take any of the impact, and the bushings are just rubber.

That said, set the toe and let it go. It's an old car and if you're replacing the knuckle and control arm there's not much else you can do. If the toe is set the tires won't wear out so just drive it till she dies, it'll be fine.

Go to a competent garage and get a professional opinion.