Dan
Dan asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 month ago

Should I booby-trap my roommate?

My roomie is constantly taking my stuff without asking (and without ever giving back or replacing). He takes food, clothes, laundry detergent, toilet paper and more.

I've asked him so many times to not do this. It's become so bad that I hide much of my non-perishable food in my closet (and he still snoops there to take it).

Just now, I realized he will do his laundry later today. I was daydreaming about spiking *my* laundry detergent with either bleach or dye. I would play innocent that I was doing it for my own use and that he just happened to take it without asking (oops)....

But I dunno...I kinda feel guilty about doing this. Asking him to stop, telling him to stop, hiding it from him, etc., does no good. Should I spike the laundry detergent??

• Alan H

Far better to take the cream out of some cream biscuits and replace it with a mixture of toothpaste and salt.....plenty of salt.

Another dodge is to let him ‘see’ you putting solid bleach or something similar In your detergent.    But make sure that the ‘bleach’ is actually just more of the detergent in a bleach packet! 

they sell lock boxes on amazon for £20 get something like that or dont live w him cos hes just gonna keep taking ur stuff

• P.L.

You either get a different roommate or you buy a large suitcase or trunk and buy a very good quality padlock.  Store everything of importance and value in there - even non perishable foods.  If he asks why tell him the truth - that you cannot afford to 'keep him' as well as keeping yourself. Food and other items cost you money. He must start paying for his own.

You really shouldn't have to lock all your belongings in a cabinet when he's straight up thieving it.  It really depends on how petty or crazy your roommate is. 

It's not worth dealing with people who might rebuke in a dangerous way, get a new roommate that respects you if you can. If not, maybe get like a pitbull and only feed it cakes you've meticulously decorated with an exact visage of your roommates face, keep it chained in your room 24/7, and just wait. 

1 - Purchase a lock;

2 - Put all your belongings in a cabinet;

3 - Put the lock on the door.

He takes things without asking and you would intentionally cause someone else harm.  I think you belong together.

Put skunk fusion into the laundry liquid that's skunk scent off ebay start leaving toilet paper with carolina reaper oil on it leave food you know they will pilfered loaded with dulcolax super pooper forget asking them mickey booby trap your food and personal items and take videos and post them on you tube

Yes you SHOULD feel guilty about doing this. You are a better person than that, and a better person than your roommate.

What you SHOULD do is get a different roommate. If that is not possible, then stop having supplies that they can use.  Be creative and stash what you want outside of your apartment, or buy a locking footlocker or whatever.  Do NOT resort to revenge ... it makes you a worse person than your roommate is. And self-respect is the foundation for our happiness, so don't undermine yourself. You know better. Don't let your frustration cause you to take leave of your good sense and your goodness.

but .. nothing wrong with daydreaming. The wrong would be in the DOING.

Is he a good guy otherwise?  That may sound strange, but imo this is what matters most.

If he is, try one more time, but make this a general convo where you point out he's acting like a toddler.  If it doesn't stop, he's forcing you to take stronger steps.  If he asks what you mean, tell him it's none of his business and get back to the main problem.  It's very possible you might need to be "meaner" than you have in the past, but you want this msg to get through to him.

If he's not a good friend or you have other issues with him, go straight to laundry sabotage.  Do not feel bad!  Sometimes guys need to have these things  pointed out, but there's no excuse for someone to continue stealing from you. 

• Kieth

You can play the ooops on him, as long as you can make it look like you didn't deliberately cause damage or hsrm.