Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionComedy · 1 month ago

Isn't Jerry Seinfeld overrated?

I've never actually talked to anybody about this, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people that would agree with me that he isn't funny. The jokes he makes are just stupid and make no sense. Like yeah, airline food isn't the best. So what? Where's the joke in that?

Not only did he play the least funny character in his own show, he's more unlikable as a real person than any of the other cast members too! Even Michael Richards, in the moment he was screeching racial slurs at black people, was a more likable person than this pompous little worm named Jerry Seinfeld. I loathe him.

people have different types of humor they like

Yes, very.  So was Garry Shandling.

• Erik

I didn't think he was that funny either, but I liked his show.  So original.

I never thought his programe was funny!

I agree that Seinfeld, the show, was overrated.  It was one of those shows that EVERYONE was watching though so the bits became cultural touchstones.  

Some of Seinfeld is funny though.  You're overdoing it in your criticisms.  Overrated doesn't mean awful, it's just that he was deified to a degree that was wholly unwarranted by a merely above average comic.

• Sathi

His stand-up shtick is observational comedy. I don’t think his jokes are laugh out loud funny, but there are worse comedians. I thought Seinfeld was hilarious and deserving of its ranking as one of the best comedies of all time, but he was by far the worst actor on the show. I won’t comment on his personal likability because I don’t care. There are a LOT of jerks in the entertainment industry.

• Andy

Only ever watched one episode of the TV show and I just wanted to punch every single one of the characters square in the mush. He's very overrated. 

he is NOT funny at all and I never watched him since he first came on tv. my dad and sister loved the show. I could not stand it

• Kathy

In my opinion, yes he is overrated.

No. He had the number one television show that he himself wrote for years. No matter what other networks threw at his time slot to beat him, they failed and failed and failed for years and years and years. That's because he's funny— really, really, really funny. It's a smart funny, though, so I can see how you wouldn't get it. Vroom, right over your head.