Why does my car make a squealing noise?

If a car makes a squealing noise when you first start it up, what does that mean?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Sounds like a loose belt.  Have a mechanic check all belts.

• 1 month ago

there are 2 main areas that cause such a noise .( or screeching)  one being a worn or incorrectly adjusted belt ( alternator etc) and weak  tensioner ( where fitted)  or..worn water pump bearings! look to se if we have a small water leak from pump? and check belt tension ( we can also try  spraying WD40 on belt(s)  thus very temporarily  lubricating belt and reducing or eliminating noise. (

• Jensen
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

My best guess is that your drive belt needs to be replaced ASAP.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

(the V belt is slipping and that wears it out faster)   Tighten the alternator belt. Loosen the nut on the alternator so it moves and then move it harder. I use a wooden hammer handle as leverage.   The squeal shuts up. FOR YEARS.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Your drive belts need replacing.

• 1 month ago

The drive belt is loose. When cold rubber is more slack, since it shrinks as it heats up.

• fuzzy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Alternator drive belt/serpentine belt slipping. Could be loose or worn. Also possible with Vee belt that the pulley is worn as well on an older engine.

• 1 month ago

Possibly the fan belt is slipping.  Then works properly when everything warms up.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

The serpentine belt is slipping. Tightening it may solve the problem First visually inspect the belt for wear. Shiny patches on the inside or fraying/cracking and a new belt is needed. Don't over tighten or all the pulley bearings will fail. You should be able to defect the belt by 1/2" with thumb pressure at the centre of it's longest run.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

If your car has more than 100,000 miles, you might need to replace the serpentine belt.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.