I pay for caregivers but am reimbursed by insurance That I pay for.  Can I deduct what I paid for caregivers on my tax return?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not if you are reimbursed  100%

If less than 100% you can deduct the difference

• 1 month ago

Medical deductions, to the extent they are available, have always been for UNREIMBURSED expenses.

• 1 month ago

You can only claim the amounts you are not reimbursed for, and even then, you probably won't meet the the threshold of 10% of adjusted gross income (AGI).  If your AGI is $30,000, you would need qualified medical expenses of more than $3,000 to get a deduction for medical expenses. And even then, THAT deduction on your Schedule A might not get you anything if your total Schedule A deductions aren't more than your standard deduction.

The reality is that very few people can take medical expense deductions.

• 1 month ago

You can deduct what you pay minus the reimbursement.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

no not if you're reimbursed.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can only deduct your out of pocket expenses.  You cannot deduct services that your insurance pays for. 

• 1 month ago

Since you didn't PAY for them, of course not.

• 1 month ago

You cannot deduct any expenses for which you are reimbursed. Period.

If, for example, you are charged $100, and reimbursed $60, you could claim the remaining $40.

|But, if you are charged and pay $100, and are then reimbursed the full$100, you cannot deduct the difference, because there is no difference.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.