I pay for caregivers but am reimbursed by insurance That I pay for.  Can I deduct what I paid for caregivers on my tax return?

• RICK

Not if you are reimbursed  100%

If less than 100% you can deduct the difference

Medical deductions, to the extent they are available, have always been for UNREIMBURSED expenses.

You can only claim the amounts you are not reimbursed for, and even then, you probably won't meet the the threshold of 10% of adjusted gross income (AGI).  If your AGI is $30,000, you would need qualified medical expenses of more than $3,000 to get a deduction for medical expenses. And even then, THAT deduction on your Schedule A might not get you anything if your total Schedule A deductions aren't more than your standard deduction.

The reality is that very few people can take medical expense deductions.

You can deduct what you pay minus the reimbursement.

• Judy

no not if you're reimbursed.

You can only deduct your out of pocket expenses.  You cannot deduct services that your insurance pays for. 

Since you didn't PAY for them, of course not.

You cannot deduct any expenses for which you are reimbursed. Period.

If, for example, you are charged $100, and reimbursed $60, you could claim the remaining $40.

|But, if you are charged and pay $100, and are then reimbursed the full$100, you cannot deduct the difference, because there is no difference.