Judy asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

what does Wienerschnitzel mean in German?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Wiener Schnitzel or Weinerschnitzel  

is the specialized food dish from Vienna, made from a thin slice of breaded veal.  

"Breaded veal cutlets". 

In German, it started as:  

Eingebröselte Kalbsschnitzchen. 

Wien (pronounced: VEEN) is the name of the city in Austria that we call Vienna, in English.  

Wiener (pronounced:  VEEN-er) is the German way to say "a man from Vienna".  

Wiener also is the masculine adjective for Viennese (something from Vienna).  

Schnitzel comes from "schnitte" which means "a slice" of something.  Schnitzel is a diminutive form.    

Schnitzel in Austria is a fried, breaded slice of meat (veal).  A "cutlet".  

Schnitzel in Germany is any fried, sliced piece of meat, with or without breading.  

Brot is the German word for bread.  

Brotschnitte or Schnittbrot is a slice of bread.  

A bread "cutlet" so to speak.  

In all fairness and to end my talk in German, a Wienerin (pronounced:  VEEN-er-in) in a woman from Vienna.  

• Rain
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The expression Wienerschnitzel is German. Wiener Schnitzel  is German for "Viennese cutlet."

• Zac Z
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

German person here.

The answers of Erik Van Thienen and bluebellbkk* are very good. 

Just wanted to add that a true Wiener Schnitzel is made from veal; however, in most places what is on the menu is "Schnitzel Wiener Art" (meaning Vienna-style Schnitzel) which is a legal way for restaurants to cover their aѕѕ when they serve a Schnitzel made from pork. It might be possible that some simple diners offer a Wiener Schnitzel that is technically not a Wiener Schnitzel because it's pork (I suppose as long as nobody sues them they'll get away with it).

So, while you'll often hear people talk about Wiener Schnitzel or even order one in restaurants, you rarely ever get a true Wiener Schnitzel - at least not in Southern Germany where I live.

One last addition: Wiener Schnitzel is basically the plain vanilla variety - the Pizza Margherita of Schnitzel. There are other varieties that come with sauces with mushrooms (Jägerschnitzel), onions and bell pepper (Zigeunerschnitzel), black pepper (Pfefferschnitzel), or a cream sauce (Rahmschnitzel).

But the Wiener Schnitzel is the simplest one an therefore more frequently found on offer.

* even though I've never heard the verb "schnitten" - there's "schneiden" and "schnitzen"; maybe "schnitten" is regional or archaic, maybe bluebellbkk mistyped. I'm sure you'll find the etymology of "Schnitzel" easily on the web.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Wienerschnitzel IS German.  What language would you like it translated to?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

"Wiener schnitzel - meaning 'Viennese cutlet' - is a type of "schnitzel" (a thin slice of meat fried in fat) made of a thin, breaded, pan-fried veal cutlet."

• 1 month ago

The word IS German. You really want to know what this word  means IN ENGLISH.

It's a fillet of veal (sometimes pork, which is cheaper, but veal is traditional), beaten out flat, dipped in egg and breadcrumbs, and fried in bubbling oil.The "Wiener" part means it's from Vienna ("Wien)". The verb "schnitten" means "to cut". It's a "Viennese cutlet".

• 1 month ago

Vienna sausage

• Jolene
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Veal that is breaded and fried.

• Petter
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"Schnitz" is to cut, so probably like a cut (of meat) from Wien (Vienna)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.