Career advice smart or dumb mobile what would you do?

I live by the beach in the southeast. It’s basically a tourist town. Not many jobs I’m fortunate to have the job I do. I’m currently “furloughed” and they don’t know if/when our company will be opening. There’s rumors of mid-August and early September. They are dropping our pay astronomically people are quitting left and right. They are now only going to pay us 80.00 per day vs 

150.00 that we were previously making. Cost of living is “cheap” but not THAT cheap. My house is paid off so my bills are not astronomical. I am not happy where I’m living and have been considering a move for some time to the Midwest. Would I be stupid to sell my house, take the money, and leave without a job? I’ve applied all over and I’ve actually been told by 3 different hiring managers that a lot of companies are hesitant to hire out of state/non locals due to covid19. I know my chances are very slim finding a job where I currently am. Almost everything is retail where I currently am and I don’t even KNOW if I have a job to go back to. Just wanted to get some opinions! Thanks. 

It'd be a mistake.  Almost no one is hiring right now so it might be a very long time before you're able to find a job after you move.  You might be out on the street before then.

• Kyle

the only guaranteed of a job is the military.  they have hundreds that aren't all combat or infantry related.  look on the branches websites and see what's available.  if interested, see a recruiter.  

Moving is expensive & no guarantee you will find any sort of work. You don't state exactly what your job is, or what qualifications you have for any sort of job, so it's quite impossible to suggest anything. But selling your house, moving, then trying to find a job entails tremendous RISK as well as expense.

• Alex

I would personally never quit a job without having another one lined up.  One thing to try is temp agencies in the area you want to live in.  Finding a temp job will get you some income while you look for something more permanent.  

Try this approach to deal with the fact that you're out of state: Call and talk to a recruiter at the agency, let them know that you're looking for a temp assignment and let them know your target start date.  Don't bring up the fact that you're not currently there.  When you send in the application, use your current address.  If they ask about it, tell them that you are currently staying with family, but that your mailing address is the one on the application and will continue to be until your house sells.  

As for selling the house, I have a family member who just sold his house.  They got an offer they wanted the day after they put it on the market.  So people are still buying houses.  Just when you go to list it, try to list it for what would be appealing to a buyer, not the absolute most you can get out of it (unless you are in a position, financially, for it to sit for a while).

Good plan to get the heck outta there.

But can you sell the house in the middle of a pandemic when there are no jobs?