Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Why do those under 30 treat those of us 30 plus as if we are stupid & ignore us?

I get the generation thing..

But i am not rude to any age group so why be rude to me??

That is not an answer!!

As I wrote..

I get the generation thing but no, i was not rude, and its not all those under 30

It has always been the case that the younger generation despises the older generation, but I think it HAS become more of a problem in western society in the last 100, 150 years as the traditional extended family has become less usual and people have lost the habit of living in a multi-generational household. 

Without daily exposure to people of different ages, we don't pick up on what these older people can and do offer in the way of life experience, and think they're all "past it", when in reality older people could be very, very helpful to their younger family members if they would only allow them.

You need to ask the people who treat you that way why they treat you that way. 

People even older have been getting that for generations. The bottom line is that the people behaving like this are rude. Leave it be. The time will come when their 'wisdom' will desert them and they'll fall flat on their faces because they didn't think/know - or listen to an older person warning them . .   

Millneals and trust fund commies will be crying into their Starbucks when Donald Trump wins again in November.

cause those people are rude

I agree. Keep doing what you're doing. Don't let the ignorant change your good habits. Maybe your example will help to show them that older people can be cool too.

Some people feel they have nothing in common with other generations and as such, can display little or no regard for them.  Their choice is to ignore them, maybe ridicule them or simply have no interest in them.  This could be part generational and part general attitude towards others, as people across many age demographics often have no regards for those outside of their own group.  This reflects the in-group/out-group theories researched in social psychology.  In-group: Social group in which a person psychologically identifies.  Out-group: Social group in which a person does not identify.

• D1218

The first thing that came to my mind when I first seen this question was that it's a whole different generation. They feel their generation is over what the older ones are.

• April

People from different age groups just don't see eye to eye. They're in different areas of their life.

It seems as though social media has facilitated a generation of people that don't recognize the concept of respecting others even though those people don't share their viewpoint on issues.