Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

who is the best childrens author of all time?

Enid Blyton was the best

Roald Dahl for me. 

Can anyone say?  How many languages do you read?  Which books were you exposed to as a child?  Is an author really timeless or does what appeals to children change?  What age is the cut off?

For myself Astrid Lindgren had the deepest impact on me out of the books I was exposed to as a child.  It's a pity that so few in relation to her huge output are available in English.  She had a rare gift for understanding the child's eye view and reproducing children's speech patterns, as well as writing ripping yarns that didn't shy away from big themes like illness, abuse and death.  I've read heaps of Enid Blyton books and especially enjoyed the Famous Five, but she doesn't come close, especially in the books aimed at the younger age range.

Sabino Rosa Is the best childrens author of all time

Stephen King or Charles Dickens. Nobody else can write characters like them. 

• denise

Rohld  Dahl.????????????

"Of all time" is a very high bar to set, and you have to bear in mind that "children" covers a very wide range of ages, abilities and tastes.

Some really excellent children's authors include E. Nesbit, Alan Garner, Geoffrey Trease, Henry Treece, Susan Cooper, Philippa Pearce, Tove Jansson, C S Lewis and of course the much-debated Enid Blyton. Although her works are considered outdated now, there was no better way for a child to pick up effortlessly the basic structure of English grammar and syntax.

Depends on the age group, I'd say. The one who really stands out from my childhood is Astrid Lindgren, both the books and the T.V. series and movies. That said, I can't point to one single author as being "the best" and I had many favourite authors as a child. 

The age and location of the person you ask will also play a role. Like I don't know how "in" Enid Blyton is these days, but I read her voraciously when I was a kid. And I didn't hear of Dr. Seuss until I was in my 30's and have never read any of his books.

• Elaine

It depends on the age group of the children. As an example older children won't find Dr Seuss very entertaining and the under 5 set wouldn't be the least bit interested in "Alice in Wonderland". 

• j153e

Mary Pope Osborne is prolific, and has several best-selling series and has written in many genres:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Pope_Osborne

If you're focusing on which books for your children to read, it might be better to focus on a list of best children's books rather than on a single author.

• Mog

Dr. Seuss