Cow death on a farm?

If a cow dies before it is slaughtered on the meat or dairy farms, do the farmers or whoever is in charge still sell its meat for us to consume? Or since it died naturally they discard of it?

• Kenny

Meat has to be inspected to be sold to the public and livestock has to be able to enter the shop on it own .  I inject sick cattle with drugs trying to save them and that makes them  not fit for human consumption if they don't make it .

may mean the animal has a disease and would not be suitable for human comsumption

• Depending on the nature of the death and whether or not the farmer knew when the animal died, I would bet that they'd just butcher it for themselves and keep the meat in a freezer.  If they can make a judgement call, why not?  It's free at that point.

Or they can probably sell it to a pet food manufacturer.  I don't know the laws on that, but I'm willing to bet that they're not nearly as strict as the laws for human food production.  Pet food is usually made of organ meat anyways, so what's a few shoulders and butts to go with those brains, tongues, hearts, kidneys, livers, lungs, etc...?

Definitely discard it.

They can't legally sell it, they have to inform environmental health to find out why the cow died and rule out contagious disease and then the cow would be cremated when they have results as it would have been dead for too long to do anything with.