Looking for some jazz albums, any suggestions?

I am looking under those criterias:

-The focus should be on the music, it doesn't have to be instrumental, but I prefer jazz music with little too no singing.

-There should be some melody and rhythm in it, i don't like jazz subgenres that sound too abstract, free jazz isn't my cup of tea at all. I prefer having a melody.

-I would appreciate either something that is relaxing and has a lounge sound and a heavy focus on piano (such as bossa nova) or something that has some funk influences (like acid jazz).

Jazz albums I own are From This Place by Pat Methany and A Go Go by John Scofield.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

johnscofield/hand jive  -  sun ra/blue delight  -  roland kirk/bright moments  -  lee konitz et al/enfants terrible  -  jack de johnette/made in chicago  -  frank zappa/imaginary diseases  -  charlie haden/ANYTHING whether as a leader or "sideman" as can be said of his frequent compatriot ed blackwell (don cherry too but he often has "singing")

• 1 month ago

Bill Evans - From Left To Right.

• D50
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Ray Charles "Genius+Soul=Jazz" 

Charles plays with Count Basie's big band. I can't get enough of it.

• 2 months ago

Try youtube Jazz. There's a large collection there. Also if you have Cox cable, tune in to "Music Choice Jazz".

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Nick
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

If you like A Go Go, Scofield recorded it with the band Medeski, Martin and Wood. You should check out the stuff they have recorded without him.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Oscar Peterson made a lot of records. The joke was, a guy entered a contest and won every album Peterson ever made, and a forklift to get them home. Lounge sounds: George Shearing, Art Van Damm. Ellington Indigos. The Basie small groups. For funk, try Monk.

• John
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

He is old school jazz with no real funk. But if you haven't looked into Count Basie you certainly should. A masterful pianist and a fine arranger. Yes, getting towards big band but his reputation is well deserved. Otherwise I'd say go to Accujazz and put on the piano channel - look for the names on the things you enjoy the most.

• Snoopy
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

Dave Grusin is pretty good. Wynton and Branford Marsalis, Buddy Rich, Lee Ritenour, Dave Brubeck, Gershwin, Prince, and so on. 

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Back in my younger days, the group Return To Forever was a favorite. The core had Chick Corea on keys and Stanley Clark on bass. The link is the classic lineup.

https://youtu.be/uLnqVJIm6bI

Youtube thumbnail

A more recent fav is guitarist Charlie Hunter.

https://youtu.be/oXVSYykrxx4

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.