Alex asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 month ago

No doctor wants to do a vasectomy on me because I'm 22 years old, what to do?

I never want to have children. That is hardly going to change.

By the looks of you, you would never have to worry about that.

You state this is hardly going to change. Well I am much older than you. Over the years I have known several men who had vasectomies at a young age because at that time they did now want to "ever have children" or more children. Well that was until they were a few years older and at that point in time they regretted their previous decision. I agree with the doctors who will not do the surgery. If you don't want to father children at this point in your life you know well enough how to prevent that from happening.

• Marvin

That just means you have not tried very hard to locate a doctor (only asked one or two), or you are saying the wrong things to the doctor.  That being said there is no guide titled, "How to get a vasectomy at 22". Right?  Read on, because I have done this so I can help....

I had no problem getting mine at 22, and I had it done in the conservative state of Texas. Mine was done back in 1988. It is much easier today.

Whatever you do, never lie about your medical condition.  Saying you are under treatment for a mental condition, have a genetic disease, or pretending to be retarded will get you shown the door. A lot of people do not know that. The USA is probably the only country in the world where claiming to be mentally ill, or anything like that will get you rejected for a vasectomy.  I know that is dumb, but that is how federal laws work. 

Make sure you do not mention the word "Childfree", or say things like, "I never want children".  Just say "I want a vasectomy".  Just let the doctor assume you already have them, and so on.  Do not volunteer anything.  That is the trick.  It might not work with every doctor.  I recommend getting a pocket recorder and record your consultation.  Play it back after to figure out what you said to muck it up.  Odds are you said something that scared the doctor.  Keep in mind that a vasectomy costs only about $700 cash, and less with insurance.  The doctor will take no risk for such a small amount of money.  If he or she believes that you do not qualify for some mental condition, or do not fully understand what you are asking for, he or she can get sued or worse.  Often parents of young men (18-25) try to sue the doctor for giving their son a vasectomy resulting on no grandchildren.

Go on Reddit, and read in the vasectomy subreddit.  

My brother and I both never had children.  Our father went ballistic because our last name effectively ended, and he even threatened to sue the doctor.

were a chastity belt lol

sue them......................

• Tj

Keep looking for one that will. But do consider having your sperm frozen before you do this.  You may change your mind down the road.

always wear a condom 

If you keep looking, you'll eventually find one who will do it.

Another option would be to visit a psychologist and see if they would validate your choice, which may hold some sway with a doctor who wouldn't otherwise perform the vasectomy.

• ron h

Try calling urologists in larger cities. You MIGHT find one who'll do that for you.  Otherwise, it's rubbers and waiting a few years.

• Andy C

Then it'll be true in 10 years.

There's a reason why doctors refuse such: kids make stupid decisions every day,  all day.