My family is mad at me for being anxious.?

They’re in the backyard setting off fireworks and fireworks make me anxious but when I went to go back inside my stepdad told me I was ruining the fun. What do I do?

• Trish

My son is like this and I always accomodated him.  His brother loves fireworks and was able to enjoy them also.   Your parents have had plenty of decades to enjoy fireworks they should now do what works for everyone and sometimes this means sacrifice.

In the future, try not to announce your anxiety as those who do not experience anxiety just do not understand it.

Instead, you can quietly get up and go jnside. Or, say, you need to use the restroom and just stay inside.

Do not be intimidated by people who do not agree with what you know to be right for yourself. Never!

ah who gives a fck what they think. next time just wear ear plugs...

Tell them you don't like them, so are removing yourself from the situation. 

If they want to enjoy fireworks; that's up to them. By going inside, you're not stopping them from doing so.

• Jerry

In my book, that song and dance of "You have to participate in activities you hate because it's no fun without you" is bull biscuit. He's free to set off fireworks; you won't try to stop him or even object. But if you hate fireworks then you should be free to not participate.

Note that I'm not saying it's OK to entirely skip a family event. There's an obligation to show up and participate in greeting and socializing with guests, in the shared holiday meal. But those how abhor the excessive noise of fireworks should be excused from that part of the celebration. 

Talk to your mom, your mom and step-dad, about making reasonable accommodation for one another -- you won't do anything to spoil their day for them and in return they won't require you to endure this one part of the day. 

• Tj

Find a way to get away from things that make you this way. You SD is a fool. Talk to you mom or your real dad if you can.

• Rick B

You tell him that his fun is not dependent on you being there.