How do I tone down one of the strings on my violin?

The D string is VERY loud compared to the others that are more balanced with each other, so what can I do short of bringing it to a luthier, it is only a 30 dollar violin but surprisingly plays quite well and I want to use it for busking but dont want to have to constantly compensate for the loudness of one string like I have been doing. thanks to all who answer me. 

• Me2

Slip a half-inch long piece of "spaghetti tubing" on to the string to use as a damper.  If possible, use tubing with the smallest diameter that the string fits through.  Position the tubing so that about 1/16 inch extends beyond the bridge (toward the sounding length of string).

If the volume is still too unbalanced, loosen the string and get 2/16" over the bridge, then retest.  Repeat this step as needed, increasing the length of the damping end by 1/16" each time.

I cannot make this clear enough.

NEVER tune a violin unless you have a trained professional such as your teacher helping you.

NEVER buy a violin that's worth under at least £150. If you're renting, this should be a lot more.

If you're busking, I pray to God you're playing nice classical music by some nice classical composer and not some stupid popular music arranged for violin.

Are you sure it is not a dead string? You should take it to a Music Shop and have them look at it. One string should not be louder than others on a violin.