tidy / fix / clean / organize?

What is the most common  alternative to say when your bedroom is a mess?

- Today I have to tidy my room.

- Today I have to fix my room.- Today I have to clean my room.- Today I have to organize my room.

"Tidy" is the most accurate, and quite commonly used. Having said that, my mom always told me to go clean my room, and that's what I used with my own kids. Technically "clean" would involve vacuuming and washing, but everybody that  I know uses it interchangeably with "tidy". Another common wording is to "pick up" my room.

"Fix" means to repair, but in context, it could be used.

"Organize" means to sort things out and perhaps rearrange where things go, but also would be understood if used in the context of picking up your things and putting them away. In order of preference, I my list would be as follows:

Today I have to pick up my room.

Today I have to clean my room.

Today I have to tidy my room.

Today I have to organize my room.

Tidy has a strong British sound to it. 

Clean would be used more frequently in the USA.  Clean, or clean up.

Kon Mari is the buzz word/verb of the decade.

No more Feng Shui for me, thanks.

• RP

As an antidote to mess, I'd go with organize.

It depends on who you are communicating to. If you just want to convey to your mom or siblings that you need to clean up your room, then You can use either the word 'tidy' or 'clean'

However, if you want to convey the message to someone outside your close circle, the best way to say it is "Today I have to organize my room" It is sort of a formal statement and includes both cleaning and tidying.

Fixing generally applies to repairing broken things, so that definitely won't be a good choice in this case, unless a wall or the roof of your room has been badly damaged and you are taking care of the repairs yourself.

In British English 'cleaning' a room means dusting, vacuuming, polishing. In the USA people seem to use it as a synonym for 'tidying" their room. But in the UK your room may be both tidy and clean (ideal!), but it may also be dirty but tidy, or it may be untidy but clean. "Tidy" and "clean" are not synonyms.

"Fixing" a room is definitely American and not British. In British English "fixing" almost always implies mending something that was broken.

"Organising" your room suggests putting books away on shelves, putting your clothes away in their correct drawers and wardrobes, and arranging the furniture in the way that works best for how you normally use the room.

What a mother usually want to see is a tidy room. If it's clean too, that's a bonus.

"Tidy" is the most precise, and "fix" is incorrect since your room isn't broken.

You could also say "straighten up" your room, which is an informal way of saying to organize it.

• dammm

I usually hear "fix" or "clean"

A lot of people say they have to clean their room in the US.

Tidy would be the most common, I think.

Fix is what you do when something is broken, and a room is never described as broken.

Organize might be similar to some of the things you do when you tidy a room, but suggests more than merely putting things in the place they're supposed to be.