F250 constant turbo failure ?

Bought a 2011 6.7 about four months ago with an oil leak from the turbo. After I replaced the turbo about a month later I started seeing white smoke. Changed oil filters, ccv, thermostat, and air filters to make sure it wasn’t something simple. After it got worse I accepted that it was a bad turbo. So I dropped it off and changed the turbo again. That fixed it for about a week now I’m back in the same situation. What could cause a turbo to constantly fail?

Using the wrong motor oil. A plugged up oil return line from the turbo. Driving a POS Ford.

It's a Ford dude.

I found this from another thread:

"White smoke is caused by raw, un-burnt fuel passing into the exhaust stream. Common causes include:

- Incorrect fuel injection timing

- Defective fuel injectors

- Low cylinder compression

- Blown Head Gasket"

The turbo might not be the problem. Especially if this is the 3rd turbo your going to replace in the past 6 months. I would probably be looking at the engine instead of the turbo.

Ask the dealership about your truck. Turbo problems with that model year or what?  They got all the bulletins about problems with each year of vehicle...problems that are common.

So, you know if there was and what to do.

• Evil C

When the 6.7 first came out, the turbos had ceramic bearings instead of steel bearings and had high failure rates as a result. I think the design has been updated since, but you should look into it.

• Barry

I am not convinced the turbo was bad as oil burning normally shows as blue smoke, not white. Another check would be to monitor the oil level carefully. OK if the turbo was allowing oil to be burnt the level would drop according to miles driven. Was this the case?  As said you do need to look after turbos. Is your oil pressure fine and are you sure it's getting fed to the turbo bearings. Oil starvation to a turbo will kill the bearings and seals in seconds as it rotates at around 80,000 and 200,000 RPM.

Only use fully synthetic oil and when stopping allow the engine to tick over for about ten seconds. This prevents oil starvation as the turbo spins fast even after you come to a halt.

Change the oil.  Make sure it is the correct diesel oil for your vehicle according to the manual.  And read your manual on how to long you have to wait idling the truck before turning off the engine.