how to hook up home stereo system?

I recently moved into a house that is already wired for a home stereo system. I want to hook it up to be able to plug my tv into it and play music from the tv into the system.  Im not really sure what i need to buy to get that to work.  Ive found this system that looks like it would work but then how to do plug this into the TV?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013CC3O0/ref=sspa_dk_d...

Update:

Update to add I dont need anything fancy just something to be able to play music from my TV to the rest of the house

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

hooking up home systems troubleshooting is something needed out there,as home recievers have gotten xxx more complex,,,,,,,,labor is so damn high,a suggestion, load a pic from the net besides amazon,they load spam and boxes for this and that and new sinks for the bathroom

• ron h
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"JUST" something simple to put speakers in every room.  Yep, simple.

• Lance
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You need an AV receiver that has optical or HDMI ARC...then you connect the audio out from the TV to the optical in or ARC connection on the AV receiver..You will need an optical cord or HDMI cable  running from the TV to the AV receiver to do this...then from the receiver to the speakers you use speaker wire...You can also use the speaker selector switch you linked to in addition to the receiver or if the receiver has zone two you could also use that but the speakers will need some kind of power....That is as long as the speakers in the house are passive...Nine times out of ten that is the case but sometimes rarely home audio systems  will use powered speakers..So make sure your speakers don't have some kind of small amplifier attached...Usually if that is the case there will also be a volume control located near the speaker or sometimes attached to the speaker itself...PS there are stereo receivers now  a days that do have HDMI and optical connections so it doesn't have to be AV surround but you do need the HDMI or optical connection to attach to a modern HDTV or UHDTV

• 1 month ago

You need to connect the TV to an audio system which you can then connect to the speaker selector. The TV cannot drive external speakers on it's own.

https://www.lifewire.com/home-music-system-overvie...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Find someone who can help you in person.

• 1 month ago

You leave out all the needed specific information without which no one here can give any kind of useful answer.

For example, you speak  of the house being wired for home audio. Does that mean that you have actual speakers installed in any of the walls or ceilings, or is it just wires run through the walls ? If it's just wires, then you still need speakers and a home audio receiver to power them and to provide music source connections for.

• Brian
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You do it the Correct way.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.