How to keep sound in my room?

So i purchased surround sound speakers with a subwoofer for my bedroom. However, my neighbours complain that it is too loud even when its at its lowest volume. Is there anything i can do to make my bedroom sound proof or stop sound leaving my room?

4 days ago

In my country if someone complains we usually tell them to FCUK OFF!

But for real, at it's lowest volume your neighbours shouldn't be able to hear it and next time they say anything, deny it. Even if the cops show make them get a search warrant before entering. Cheapest sound proofing solution is xl curtains at least 2 layers thick on all walls. Just screw through the curtain material into the bricks or studs.

• 1 week ago

buy stacks of cork panels,,if you rent the space get permish from the landlord,a couple large panels might be enough to dampen the sound

• Boy

Try turning your subwoofer to tremble and turn off bass and see if that helps 

Home theater is best used in a detached house. 

There is no practical and/or affordable way to keep sound from getting out. 

Reduce the bass to minimum to partly eliminate the rumble and boom from the sub. 

Use headphones or invest a lot in soundproofing the entire room (which means that you have to take everything out, put a thick layer of sound insulation on all surfaces and then refurnish it).  The audio equipment they sell in stores isn't always appropriate for use in close proximity to others.  Advertisers and salespeople don't care about your neighbors.  Those sub-woofers are likely the problem.  Bass sounds carry much more than mid-range or treble and will go right through walls or floors.  You may have to unplug that and just listen without the extra low bass.

• Rick

hang curtains on the walls, even if there's no window there.

• JJ

For one thing, if your speakers are on the floor then get them onto something like a stand or even a pillow or folded blanket. Sound can travel through the floor.