why don't more people play the lottery?

$1 gets you a chance at millions. Even if you do not win the jackpot, you could still win something in between

I won $2,000 on a scratch off once

The prize money could be in millions but the chances for you to win is 1 out of 

1 million or 10 million. You must be very lucky to win that.

• kswck2

And the odds of winning are a zillion to one. 

• F

Because they realise it’s  just a tax on the stupid. 

now, in a common game of powerball, the chances of winning the jackpot is 1 in 292,201,338.

just for comparison, chances of you being killed by an animal is 1 in 1,364,594

chances of you dying today, if chances are spread out, is 1 in 26115

chances of you dying by being murdered is 1 in 133

taxes eat up about nearly half of your winnings. the winner will be giving 39.6% of the money to federal taxes and your state or possibly city might also take a portion. 

They figure that the odds are against them no matter how much money that they spend in the hopes of winning it big. Plus, gambling is used by the government to tax the people. 

Also, while we're on the subject of lotteries, here's a historical fact I learned from a documentary about gambling; In the early days of the American colonies, when they went bankrupt, they held lotteries in merry old England to financially support the colonies. However, there was corruption growing, and those lotteries got banned to stop it.

May be they have lack of confidence or they play safe site like me.

Most people don’t win . It’s a tax grab as far as I see it .

How much have you spent on lottery tickets to win $2k 

You lose more than you can earn

Because they understand the odds.

Because it's most likely that you won't win anything. Why would I put money in when I'm most likely not going to get anything back?