Mark asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

why can't I fine chicken livers in the stores...?

If you've seen them recently before the whole covid thing there are probably problems with the supply chain.  Check the freezer section too.  Supermarkets might be trying to focus on things with a long shelf life because of all the issues at the moment.  You're lucky if you've seen them recently.  You can't get them at all where I live anymore.  The stores cite lack of demand so it's a self-fullfilling prophecy.  I'm hoping that a celebrity chef will do something with them soon to drum up demand.

If they are not in the fresh meat case they are in the freezer section.  They get them in and most stores will just put them in the freezer since they do not sell as quickly as the rest of the chicken.  You will also find gizzards in the same area of the freezer section (along with liver and hog casing)

• Like you, I get fresh chicken livers. Never seen them in the freezer section. I have seen them pop up during Covid, but I would assume that like other meats the supply chain is faltering. I will make one other guess based on blog posts and cooking sites etc. People are buying and cooking more WHOLE chicken and whole chickens generally come with a package of the giblets, leaving less to sell separately. 

go to your gas station or try food giant if u have one there

• denise

In the UK they seem to be in the frozen section of the store.

They’re generally frozen and aren’t popular as they once were 

• kswck2

Chicken livers are often sold in a small round, flat container, and oftentimes it would be in the Frozen Foods dept. 

In my local stores, chicken livers are usually sold frozen, and they don't always have them. It takes a lot of chickens to provide a pound of chicken livers.

• 🦋

they are hiding in the back playing cards