Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

Do old people have senior citizen privilege?

Think about it: they get to live in a cleaner and more sustainable earth. They mess it up with pollution, deforestation, etc and leave us younger people the scraps and the mess to clean up for ourselves. Old people won't be here to experience the mess they've left us with such as the climate change dilemma. They're too privileged.

• Kini

The older generation began in the 1950s and 1960s to clean the environment. It might be the other generations who dont care as much as the older generation. You younger people just dont like hard work.

• kswck2

Listen sonny. We Also invented the internet, video games, cell phones and all that stuff You kids can't live without. SO shut up and quite whining.

Oh, and by the way, when your cell phone is too old, you just throw it away-so polluting the planet is Your fault more so than ours. 

• Peggy

How about the waste caused to this planet by the young.  Oldies used to pack their own lunches for work not buy sandwiches packed in hard plastic casings. We baked cakes and biscuits and hardly ever bought crisps (chips you might call them).  We walked to work when possible thereby not causing fumes that affected the breathing of others and if we were not walking we'd be using buses not gas guzzling cars.  We reused absolutely anything that was reusable.  Never carried little bottles of water. We had washable cups and mugs and took water from the tap.  Our plastic consumption these days is horrendous and destroying the planet.   When we bought vegetables we took our own fabric (home-made) bag and the shop owner would place our goods into that bag.  If we needed an extra bag we'd get a paper carrier bag and re-use it several times. Sliced meats for sandwiches were wrapped in paper and then placed in a paper bag - no plastic. Any waste paper from wrappings of any kind or our weekly newspaper were all used to help start the coal fire in the living room when we returned home for our evening meal - always home made using fresh ingredients. No bought pasties, pies, etc. and no ready meals from freezers (there were no freezers then).

When evening came and one of us was to have a bath (only one per evening as it took ages to heat up via the boiler behind the coal fire) we would pick up a strange little gadget made from bent wire. Inside it were several small pieces of soap (the bits kept when a bar of soap became almost too small to handle). These bits of soap in their bent wire frame were used to create soap bubble for our bath (no bubble bath liquid back then) we shook this gadget around in our bath water until we had it soapy enough the then lie down and soak ourselves for a few minutes and get ourselves clean and ready for bed (in an unheated house, with draughty windows (no double glazing back then) and, in winter, cuddling a hot water bottle in hopes that we'd manage to fall asleep before the bottle became a cold water bottle. That wire gadget with the soup bits in it was also used to create bubbles for washing dishes as we didn't have washing up liquid in plastic bottle then either. We used squares of newspaper instead of soft toilet rolls also. We had no kitchen rolls (used a reusable cloth for spills etc.  People went to bed early to save on heating and lighting bills. No T.V.  until the 1950s and it ended at 11 p.m. having been on only from 1.00 p.m. for a quarter of an hour Watch With Mother for the toddlers then off until 6p.m.

If you fancy having a turn at living with the creature comforts that we had I suggest you try it.  You won't want to live through all that for even a second day.  Get off that high horse and grow up - also learn to have some respect for others - most of whom know far more about everything than you know. IF you live long enough you might learn a few new things but, with the attitudes of the young of today I doubt it as you don't believe you have anything to learn.

• Judee

I endorse EVERYTHING said by all who beat me to this question.  Young people don't have a clue about ANYTHING.  They are ignorant of facts, understand only those things that they want to understand, unable to do for themselves very much at all without the help of mum and dad (and their bank account). They are lazy, even in their language, many are completely and utterly selfish and seem to think that they should sail through life without making any effort themselves. 

When OUR generation have all gone we might be leaving behind houses and other things that the youngsters desire but they won't know what to do with them when they have them. Many of them haven't a clue how to use a duster never mind how to use any of the gadgets they'll need to keep their parents old home in good repair. They are a generation of 'lookers on' rather than of 'doers'.  They haven't a clue about handling money wisely, know nothing about 'saving for a rainy day'. If the internet were to fail completely they would be totally lost and unable to even think what they could do with their day.

The future for the present young people looks very bleak indeed and I believe that their lifespan will shorten and, eventually go back to how it used to be centuries ago when 45 would have been considered OLD. 

How anyone had the gall/nerve to ask this question amazes me.  One with very little intellect, decency or empathy I guess.

• P.L.

My grandmother had the 'privilege' of losing her husband during WW1 when my mother was three years old and grandma was about to give birth to her second child.  Her husband died in agony from an unknown illness. There was no war widows pension for Grandma when grandad was sent home from the war, to die from an undiagnosed illness because he 'died' as opposed to 'being killed in battle'. I guess that made her feel really 'privileged' !!  To be able to feed herself and my mother she not only breastfed my aunt but also the baby of a neighbour who was not making enough breast milk for her baby. Payment for that deed was a cooked dinner for mum and gran.  What they did after the breast milk ran out I don't know but I do know that at some point Grandma earned some money by taking in repairs e.g. darning socks and mending other clothing, she also 'black-leaded' their fireplaces (if you know what that means, look it up if you don't) and scrubbed other people's doorsteps and polished any brass ornaments or door knockers that the wealthier people had - just to earn a little money for food and coal.

Most of the mess that we see around us these days is caused by youngsters. Old people place wrappers, paper bags and any other rubbish in the appropriate receptacles whilst the young people I know just drop them on the floor or leave them on the bus. They also leave chewing gum and cigarette butts all over the place. It's the youngsters who want the gas guzzling cars that POLLUTE the air and make the most noise and the younger people who use the filthy, disgusting words which POLLUTE the lives of those of us who don't want to hear such obscenities . It is the old people who have good manners and don't take everything for granted.

What YOU will be like when old I dread to imagine. Think hard about that and maybe you can ask some decent questions from tomorrow and for the rest of your life.

• Ann

We "old people" created a privileged life for the younger generation.  Would you really want to live without the luxuries of electricity, automobiles, advances in medical care, communication and everything else you have been afforded due to the work of past generations?  Of course there are consequences for everything that has been done, which would include climate change due to air pollution from advances in transportation.  If you want to go back to walking, doing without radio/t.v./telephones, weaving your own clothes and sewing them by hand, and worrying about dying from every germ that comes along, then be our guests.  You younger people know very little about responsibility, truly hard work, respect, or caring about others.  You don't even know how to take care of yourselves, so don't talk to us about being "privileged".  Quit living in your parents' basements until you're 30, get outside, and get jobs digging ditches.  At least you wouldn't be stinking up the environment with your e-cigarettes and vaping.

DON'T GET ME STARTED! I would have some sympathy for you until I saw all those young people at all those beaches over the weekend and at parties not even wearing masks spreading the virus in direct command NOT to!  And then you come on here talking about old folk's privileges while we stayed in to help stop the virus from killing us AND you! Now, put that in your E cigarette and puff on it!

LMAO. After seeing the bedrooms of many 'younger people' - I doubt anyone is expecting them to clean the planet!!

I do not consider Sr.. Discounts a "privilege", but a way to get me to spend money. My world is not cleaner and people who have been using  the planet from the last 50 years are responsible, it was in pretty good shape when I was younger. 

Everybody does this so don't blame it on old people.