Academically Dismissed from college. Can I go to another college?

Recently I got an email from my college that I am Academically Dismissed. The only reason why I haven't been doing my work like I was suppose to was do to personal issues and failing to remember to turn in assignments before the deadline.

I can't appeal at all and that's really disappointing. Policy states that once you get an Academic Dismissal, you can't repeal it. I wasn't planning on repealing it since I've heard how rude the staff can be in regards to student problems regardless of your situation. I'm not looking for a lecture since I know I messed up badly and I am working on improving myself. What I am looking for is whether or not I can go to another college at this point? 


BTW I was doing okay in the beginning with getting in my assignments on time. However I slipped into not doing them on time and promising myself i would get to it later. Unfortunately I kept doing that. It's all on me and I will admit that. Like I've said, I'm working on that before I apply for another school.

9 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    Yes, you can attend another college. If you tell the second school that you went to another school--which you don't have to do--they will want to see your transcripts. They may admit you as a student under academic probation right off the bat and wait to see if you have improved your study habits, or they may not care, depending on the school you pick. OR they may deny you admission.  BUT--you do not have to say you ever went to another school, either. There's no rule that says you have to admit to all your mistakes when you apply to college, and nothing says you have to "disclose" that you went to any other college. 

    I would suggest, however, you seek some other educational alternative. Some people just don't do well in a college atmosphere. Maybe a trade school or certificate program, or even an online program would better suit you. Don't think that college is your only alternative. 

  • 1 month ago

    Suggest that you get some help with your personal issues and try for a community college.

  • 1 month ago

    Go to a community college. They accept everyone. Stay there for 1-2 years, it depends on what year you are in college tho.  Then transfer to a bigger college that you actually like.  Community college isn't fun but it is what it is.

  • 1 month ago

    OK, here is what you can do.  Ask for an appointment with someone in admissions from the university which canned you. Show up on time, well groomed, and lay it all out.  State that you had many personal problems, and you are now ready to resume work on your degree. Listen to what they have to say, and above all else, DO NOT ARGUE with them. You must be pennant and willing to admit your previous failures. If that fails, consider joining the service and serving out a complete term of enlistment.  This shows that you can stick with SOMETHING. If that fails, try a community college with the intent of transferring to your state's land grant institution.  Some states have a mandatory acceptance for people who complete x number of credits from a community college then try to transfer to their state land grant. good luck. 

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    No. Your record is against you. Get a job. Then see if you can get into your local community college. But you will have to submit your prior transcript, detailing your academic dismissal. So you are going to have to prove you've grown up, taken appropriate responsibility for yourself, and are fully willing & able to do what you need to do to excel.

  • John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    If your failure was only caused by personal issues and not turning in work (as opposed to being unable to do the work), you might be able to get a second chance at a community college.  Its critical, however, that you seek professional help for your problems before starting any kind of academic or vocational program.  A frequent source of questions in this forum are from students who spent an inordinate number of years in college, while struggling with emotional/mental issues.  

  • 1 month ago

    Yes, very likely you can go to another community college or a vo-tech school. They will need official copies of your transcripts . If you owe ANY money to that college you will have to pay that bill before they will release your transcripts. 

    You need to talk to an admissions adviser at the community college and possibly an academic adviser. Admissions people usually advise you only on how to get admitted. 

    Be aware that many community colleges, but not all, do offer 4 year bachelors degree programs. They just offer fewer programs than colleges of universities. 7

  • drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    How was the semester before this one? Usually you have one bad semester and you are on probation for the next semester.

    You need to look at all of your class grades. How many classes did you get a D or F

    You should meet with a college adviser at a community college. See if you can recoup your GPA by taking classes there.

  • 1 month ago

    Why not admit that academia is not for you and that you should learn a useful trade? Life goes on and we have an ongoing need for electricians, plumbers, woodworkers, chefs, mechanics ... the list is endless.

    Good luck to you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.