Do you have to be good at dramatic reading to be an audiobook narrator?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Well, there's a good chance that part of what an audiobook narrator is reading will be dramatic but using a dramatic reading voice for an entire book would be overkill.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I think so???....

• 4 weeks ago

You seem to think anyone can just pick up a book and read it through and make a million dollars.

I did a certain amount of voice-over work for a couple of years. Most of it involved reading instruction manuals and company brochures. Not that fascinating, but easy money.After my first couple of sessions they offered me more regular work, because, as they put it, I "could read"!I couldn't imagine what they meant - surely nobody would apply for the work unless they could read - but no, they explained that I could just open the booklet and read what was there. Other people (with equally good microphone voices) stumbled and struggled and had to keep going back and re-recording: it took them three hours to complete what I did in 45 minutes hour.

So - just saying - not everyone finds it all that easy.

• Speed
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I'm a fan of Sir Caustic and his reply is spot-on.

They're looking for people hoping to make easy money doing something they have no experience or skill doing. The ideal candidate will have either a strong accent or a speech impediment, if not both.

There's a reason many audiobook narrators are working actors, not teenagers.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Oh, no. Not at all. In fact, any skill at all in that department is frowned upon in the audiobook industry. What they're looking for is people who can't read well, and who have speech impediments and the like, and who can't really speak the language very well. I mean, who wants to listen to an audiobook where the narrator is good at reading? I certainly don't, dammit. Hope this helped, "Michael".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.