Can I ask waiter to take a certain amount out of my debit card at a restaurant?

For example, I’m sharing a single bill with 6 people. My share comes up to $23 can I ask waiter to put $23 on my debit card? 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yeah. I do that all the time when I am at Hooters with the bros. 

• a
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

There are a couple ways this is usually done, and not the way you're doing it.

Scenario #1: people ask for separate checks. Most places will do this, though they can refuse, and usually do, if there are too many in the party. (I often see signs that the restaurant won't do separate checks for parties of eight or more)

Scenario #2: Someone puts the whole bill on his or her card, and each diner gives that person his or her share of the bill, plus tip. (I've read your other, numerous questions on this, and your $5 tip on a $46 tab is stingy.)

I now avoid scenario #2 and "having folks pay me back." I paid a tab. The bill was about $80, the other diners grudgingly handed over about $40. That means I paid $40 for a couple slices of pizza.

The reason your solution won't work is this: Say the tab is $100, and teach of four diners instructs the waiter to put $20 on their card. The bill isn't completely paid.

• 5 months ago

Sure. And he may or may not accommodate you. Carry cash for times like these (to pay the main bill payer). 

• Scott
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You ask for separate checks or have the server divide the check 6 ways.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes.......................

• 5 months ago

Yes you can do that 

• 5 months ago

You can if everyone else pays first. Same as if you want to part pay with a card at a till you give them what cash you have first and then pay with the card for the remaining balance.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

It seems this is a big issue in your life. Why?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.