Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

How does an messy room or house affect someone's ability to sell a home?

So I'm trying to put my house on the market and the realtor is wanting me to put stuff away and clean up. I'm being told to put away my stuff like my desktop computers and I don't like it. I need my computers. I spoke to a couple of people and they all said that my room is a mess too and I don't get how is it a mess. How is my room a mess ?

People usually hide their personal items for the photos and then again whenever there's a showing. This is because buyers like to see the blankest slate possible so they can imagine what they'd do with the property. Having a lot of clutter around makes that more difficult. 

• denise

When people are viewing to buy houses they like to imagine their own style / furniture e.t.c. in the house, so more of a 'blank canvass' is helpful.

• drip

Too much crap in the floor. Clothes, hangers, wires and more. 

If you are moving then all that stuff has to be packed up to move. Pack it up now. Wrap up the wires. They should not be all over the place.  Remove the lights. One chair only.  And nothing is in the chair if you are not sitting on it. You have a closet and or dresser? Clothes should be there and no where else

I can’t tell how big the room is because there is too much in there. There is no rhyme or reason to your set up. It is in a disarray. It is cluttered. No organization. Desk tops are a mess. 

Do you want to sell your home. Do you want to sell it quickly and at a good price? Then clean it all up. Live without all five computers. 

Interest rates are down. It is a buyers market. Others homes are going to neat, organized and clean. Pull up photos of home for sell around you. 

The idea of selling it is to present it as best you can. Having it dirty/messy doesn't do that.

if they see it as messy they might not want it

You are correct, your room is not messy.  It is not dirty either.  It is cluttered and that is the problem.  She is not suggesting your move your computers out, but simply to clear the decks (various small items strewn accross surfaces and to secure your laptop when not in use (as would be the case during a showing).  Why?  To keep your stuff secure (away from sticky fingers) and because a better organized space is more appealing to a buyer.  Of course you know that too, since you were once a buyer too ... right?

All that stuff, even if it's not exactly untidy, is distracting to the eye of someone seeing the house for the first time. All they see is clutter; they can't see the potential of the rooms.

Clear it up. It doesn't have to be perfect, but potential buyers do need to be able to see the wood through the trees.

PS If it's dirty as well as cluttered, then you really ought to clean it too. Dirt really puts people off. It makes them wonder how much you've bothered with routine maintenance of the building.

PS: This is NOT an Etiquette question.

Less furniture and clutter allows the buyer to imagine how their belongings would look in that space.  When I wanted to sell my house, I was told to remove all pictures from the walls for that purpose.  If you want to sell the house, listen to your agent.

While a home needs to be liveable for the resident when on the market, consideration has to be given for how the property is presented to prospective buyers.  Your space is cluttered and while this may be comfortable for you, this is not a positive selling point.  Sometimes less is more.  Consider what you absolutely need and what can be put away/put into temporary storage.  If you are serious about selling your home, some flexibility and practicality is required on your part.

clean your damn setup