Is this a car repair scam?

I got work done on my car. 4 new tires, new windshield wipers, an oil change and a pcv valve done. I get my car back and it makes a horrible noise when braking it sounds like I am driving into a rut and scraping my car and I also hear loose rolling noise sometimes whdn turning or going downhill. The mechanic tried to say he forgot to tell me I had bad struts. Why would my car suddenly make noises after I got that work done?  

So the mechanic said it is my struts in the back and said it sounds like my front brake pads in the front need to be replaced. The mechanic still doesn't have an answer of why it was working fine before I dropped it off.

I would find another mechanic. This guy is screwing with you. This is the life of being a customer to a scam repair shop my friend. I suggest you go to the dealer, I know its more expensive, but until you can find a good reputable shop, I would stay away from all of them!!

Brake backing plate is rubbing on a rotor. They bent it when taking the tires off.

It sounds like sabotage.

• Erik

If you only hear those noises when braking, it sounds like it would be a problem with the brakes.  Try driving slowly on a perfectly smooth level road and hitting the brakes then.  Also take your wheels off and look at the pads.  Personally I like it when my mechanics show me exactly what is wrong, so ask him to show you the struts.  If you're asking if he damaged your car just to make more money, it's possible, but I doubt it.

• Snezzy

As you will eventually learn (and nearly all of us learn it the hard way) the best friend your car can have is a good mechanic. You've not found one yet.

You'll need to learn how to identify the good ones and to separate them from the bad ones. Sometimes your oldest relative will have some good advice on which repair shops are good. Or you might ask someone whose business requires reliable transportation but uses vehicles that have some substantial mileage on them.

In general you should be careful about trusting the mechanics at a dealership. They'll be okay for new cars under warranty, but not for something like my 1987 D-150 pickup. For my Dodge trucks I have a fellow who's been working on 1980-2007 Dodges for most of his life.

Except in an emergency, do not go with a "shade tree" mechanic who does not even have a shop. That'll be a shop with a lift and lots of rather expensive but indispensable tools. The shade-tree guy will be cheaper, but will miss fixing something crucial and you'll be stranded somewhere between East Overshoe and Nowheresville.

• F

If the noise is a sort of metallic scraping when braking , you probably have no brake pads left. If you car has alloy wheels you should be able to see them easily.

A noise when turning is probably worn wheel bearings. I would not have much confidence in this mechanic, suggest you go elsewhere .

• Ron

Sounds like you should go back to that other mechanic

The noises by your description sound like the mechanic knew what was wrong. Why? Because it was time.  You were not driving on those roads before.?  The work you got done has NOTHING TO DO WITH STRUTS.  Just tires, remember.? When the tire comes off he can see the strut easily. You never checked before.  Are they important?  Only if you want to steer.

• Scott

Bad struts won't make a noise like that. It sounds like you have a brake issue. Get it looked at. No legitimate mechanic is going to sabotage a vehicle to try to increase revenue.

Your car is broken.  Get it fixed.  Again.