lovecraft, tolkien, or salinger, which is the better writer?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Prince
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Not Salinger. Salinger sucked as a writer. Salinger sucked so badly between floors that you get off the elevator with the sickly green queasy kind of feeling you get from a stomach full of elevator man juice. Like escaping forced masturbation in a dormitory to getting your hair ruffled on your teacher's sofa in the City. Bad. So it's between Lovecraft and Tolkien and there's no comparison because Tolkien was academic and erudite;whereas, Lovecraft is popular pulp fiction. 

• John
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Tolkien was (in same year as Robert Frost) nominated for a Nobel Prize for Literature.

Lovecraft is very niche and Salinger lacks depth.

I would also say the millions of sales, (pre the films) through people liking the story and it selling by word of mouth, plus the fact of character development in the Hobbit and sheer neat prose puts Tolkien ahead.  

• 4 weeks ago

Salinger is known for one book. I couldn't fathom Tolkien. Lovecraft by default.

• 4 weeks ago

Better in what way?  Lovecraft was writing their books pre-1940, the writing style was very different.  Salinger only wrote one book, never did another.  Tolkien wrote in the 1960's, again it's different than the writing in the past 40 years.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Elaine
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It depends on your criteria for "better writer".  Are you thinking of author's writing style, character and plot development, comparison to other authors in the same genre, etc? 

• 1 month ago

I'm partial to tolkien.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Depends what you are interested in. Being English I prefer Tolkien. 

There is only so much teenage angst one can take for chrissakes.

• Amber
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Salinger I think. 

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

None is any better than the others because they're all dead. When he was alive, Salinger was the best of the three. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.