Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Anyone have a very selfish cousin?

I have this cousin around the same age as me, we're both in our 20s. I've lived in the west all my life, she came from the eastern world a while ago (not going to name countries for anonymity). But we have met every few years when my family and I would travel to that country to see her and her family, aka our relatives. Well, she is SO selfish and thoughtless, it's unbelievable. I've been going through severe depression and anxiety, and texted her about it, considering her my family member. She said she'll make time to be in touch with me at least once a week. Well, it's corona, no one's going partying anyways, and she's working from home like everyone else, but hasn't texted ONCE for over 3 months. Before this period, I would always reach out to her like more than once a week, only to get one word responses, for years. Point is that despite knowing I'm going through problems, she has not a dot of care to see how I'm doing. I'm simply not in her priority list, even though she knows how to smooth talk big time about how she does care about me and 'will' make time for me. Anyone else relate to this?

Sometimes, as someone else here said, cousins can be competitive. Depends on how their parents may have raised them.

No, I can't relate to this.  Before you judge her, maybe you should listen to yourself for a day or two.  You've bee reaching out for years and don't get a satisfactory response?  Maybe she's bored.  Maybe she just doesn't care.  Maybe she doesn't think she can solve your severe depression and anxiety AND doesn't want to be involved in your problems.

I have no idea why you can't name the country unless she's the only person to ever come "here" from "there."

yes, my cousins wont keep in contact with me at all

• martin

Cousins can be competitive.  Few people can relax enough to acknowledge a cousin's achievements and be a true friend to a cousin.