Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

Check deposit scam?

What happens if you're scammed for thousands and your bank account is left in the negative? What if you didn't/couldn't pay the money back in the time frame given.

Update:

FYI I did not deposit the check myself the scammer did.

Update 2:

I did not deposit or withdrawal.  I never touched the money, at all.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Unless your update is BS, you lied, if only by omission. Someone WITHDREW at least part of the bogus deposit.

If you made the withdraw, you WILL pay it back. The only question is how.

If the bank allowed an unauthorized withdraw, they are liable an you shouldn't be paying anything back.

• 1 month ago

If you were involved in a scam, that's your business.  If you ripped off your bank and failed to deposit "good" money, and spent what you didn't have, then you will have to repay it plus interest, and possibly face criminal charges and go to jail.  If you can't pay it now, you will pay it later.  Somehow, some day.  You will repay it.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Thy close the account and your credit is ruined.

• 1 month ago

Your account is closed and you are reported to CheckSystem so you cannot open another one at any bank.  And you still have the pay the money.  In some cases, even though you were a victim of the scam, you can still be arrested for depositing the check.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Kenny
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Being action against the bank for negligence .

• 1 month ago

Civil Action - Sued by the bank.

and/or

Criminal Action - Charged with Criminal Fraud

• Adam
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Then you will owe the money and it will go to their debt recovery team, this is assuming the bank insists you are at fault, anyway your best to talk to the bank and not stick your head in the sand 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.