Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Am I being mean for not helping her out with this?

one of my friends and colleagues who left for maternity leave wants me to drive to her house pick up keys for her locker,  clean it out and remove the clothes she left behind then drive to her house. She is 2 months away to give birth. She can come to work but doesn't want to for some reason 

Update:

She wants me to drive to her house

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That "some reason" might be a global pandemic. No one wants to contract COVID-19 right before giving birth. So help her or don't. Just don't pretend like her reasons for hunkering down at home aren't legitimate. 

• 1 month ago

No, not mean. She's asking for a favour and it's not rude to decline doing a favour if it's an inconvenience to you.

• 1 month ago

NO you are not being "MEAN" at the best inconsiderate.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Holy cow.  You have a preg-zilla on your hands.  Stop trying to be nice.  Her request is ridiculous!  Tell her she has plenty of time to do this for herself.  If she's a close friend, do her a favor and point out the world doesn't stop spinning on its axis because she's about to have a baby.  The same applies after she has it. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • L
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Do NOT do this!  This is her RESPONSIBILITY to do - NOT yours.  If she never returns............then let management deal with it.

• 1 month ago

You said she was your friend? And why can't you do that for her? Many people (and I'm one of them) don't want to return to a job - for whatever reason - after they have left. I would help her out.

• 1 month ago

There will likely be a company protocol in regards to employee lockers be cleaned out.  Given your uncertainty, have a conversation with your Manager and get their guidance on what to do.  You are not obliged to carry out this friend's request, and once you know what next step to take, you can act accordingly.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You are not being mean. It's better to stay out of it. Her not wanting to come to work to do it herself is a bad sign. What are the guidelines and potential repercussions for entering another employee's locker? Something is weird; just protect yourself and don't accommodate her requests. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

thats up to you if you want to do it or not

• 1 month ago

She should MAIL the keys to you and give you a FedEx slip to FedEx the clothes to her.  

If her house is close by, she should still MAIL the keys to you and maybe have someone drop off the clothes on their way home.

She probably doesn't want to show up at work when she's off work; that's understandable.  But she should make the request in a way to minimize the imposition on you--thus she should mail the key to you.

If you are truly friends with her then she should invite you for a drink (for her, non-alcoholic) to catch up, pick up the clothes then and pay for your drink, as a thank-you.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.