Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

How long should you keep underwear before throwing away? A year, 2? 3? How many pairs is best?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I don't know if this is etiquette - or just practicality/convenience.  I usually have a dozen "fashion" types, bought singly & wear for "good".  Then I buy everyday kinds 2 or 3 dozen at a time so I don't have to wash batches too often;  when I start to notice wear on the everyday ones, I buy a new batch . . . with so many in rotation they last a couple years I guess.

• 1 month ago

Before or after you've washed them . . .   (Well,I don't know what your personal hygiene is like)

• 1 month ago

There is no one golden rule here.  Some people will keep their underwear until they are threadbare and not practical, others will buy new underwear on a regular basis and some will replace their underwear every few years.  Do what is best for you in terms of frequency of new underwear and how many pairs you want to have available.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I wait until the fabric that covers the elastic wears out, which is about the two- to three-year point. The exposed elastic just pinches too much and hurts like anything. I don't like holes, but live with them because to toss drawers due to a tiny hole or two is wasteful. I keep a 30-day supply due to my schedule and other factors.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I have thrombosed hemorrhoids that bleed through my draws and pants, so I usually throw them out when that happens. Otherwise wait until they have large holes. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i keep mine for yrs as long as i wash them

• JJ
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I wear underwear until it has holes, which is what happens to my underwear after I've worn the underwear for more than five years.  It is best to have at least 7 pairs of underwear.  I don't throw away the underwear that has holes.  I use the underwear as rags to clean whatever I have to clean. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.