Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Should I remove a bad review I wrote about a book on amazon?

The author ( wrote lousy self published book released last week) is very active on twitter and I'm worried my negative review could become famous if he starts whining to all his followers.

If your review is honest and thoughtful (providing reasons you didn't like it rather than just saying "this book is trash and deserves zero stars") I say leave it. Generally when an author whines about a negative review, it isn't the reviewer who ends up looking bad …

Your actions have consequences, you're just learning that NOW?

• Amber

This is totally up to you. If you still feel your review was honest, fair and polite then stand by it and if the author doesn't like it then that is their problem. Your entitled to your opinion and that is what the review section is for. You can't publish a book and then be frightened of negative feedback. I actually like to read reviews on my work as lots of readers make some very good points. If something crops up negatively in different reviews I know I need to do something about it. Readers are useful betas to me, especially since I'm still learning. But you have to be thick-skinned, which I am and I think it's a smart way to improve. If they can't take the criticism then they're not going to get very far in life.

• Speed

Reviews are for readers, and the smart author does not read their own. (Okay, I've read some of mine. Nobody said I was all that smart.)

Negative reviews are a fact of life. Wonderful books get them as well as richly deserving books. What I would recommend doing is rereading your review.

Was it honest? Did it offer concrete negative aspects of the book itself rather than general condemnation, noting gaping plot holes, unbelievable characters, scores of mistakes with grammar and punctuation, mistakes in facts? Leave it up.

Or did it attack the author and the basic premise of the book? Was it needlessly cruel? Did it mock or ridicule? Take it down.

• Zac Z

Why remove it?

If it is an honest review, by all means leave it up!

Any author offering their work is fair game for feedback - good or bad. Let the author whine, that's not your business - and I'm not sure if I would want to draw attention to negative reviews if I were the author.

Assuming that there's a prize tag on the book you might save other potential reader their money they might otherwise have paid for a lousy book.

Like I said, if your review is honest then leaving that honest review is what the review system is for!

• Marli

Does it have your real name or is your Amazon pseudonym famous on Twitter?

If you think the book stinks, don't  remove your review.  Why worry about his whining? 

Authors are understandably sensitive to the feedback they get (writing any book is a lot of work).  However if your review was honest and not overly mean-spirited, then it is what it is and you should leave it.  I want people to like my writing but if there is an honest objection then I want to hear about it.

I no longer use Amazon due to Bezos heavy support of the Marxist