Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Can I return my financed car back? ?

So yesterday I put $3000 down on a cheap used car Dodge Dart. I didn’t do much inspection of the car like I should have being a female. I test drove it, it drove good. 

2 hours after driving it off the lot. I realize the brake light is out, the window switch is missing, and now today, a day later the check engine light is on and the radio u connect is not working. 

I called the dealer yesterday to report the window switch missing and the brake light being out, he told me to bring it in Monday and he’ll fix it. 

But today, the engine light is on and the radio is out. Today is a holiday and tomorrow is Sunday and they’ll be closed. So I have to wait til Monday. I live in Michigan so there’s lemon laws.

I’m at the point I want to just cancel the whole loan since the car is faulty, and now the engine light is on... the odometer reads 95k. 

Can I cancel the loan due to the circumstances? 

LEMON LAWS do not apply to used cars. You just went in and bought the dress with a hole in the crotch. That is YOUR fault. You had eyes and you can't see.  Being females has nothing to do with NOT HAVING BRAINS.  Get the lot to fix the stuff they can which is all 3 items.

. If you had to take a LOAN out on a used car, the car was beyond your means already.  You should buy a $300 car cash. and expect the same problems...or less.

. a LOAN is not the problem of the dealership. It is YOUR Problem.  You forgot car insurance and fuel for the car.

Sure troll, sure.

NO fix the important stuff and learn to enjoy your ride until its paid for or the loan is low enough to trade.And next time take someone with you who is knowledgeable.

Lemon laws do not apply to the purchase of a vehicle new or used. You cannot return the car therefore allow the seller to repair the vehicle as he agreed. If you did not get a warranty then you bought the car "AS IS". If you got a warranty then great let him repair it. If you got no warranty and he has agreed to repair the car you are very lucky. Next time take a mechanic with you to inspect any vehicle you are planning on buying. 

• Scott

No. There is no right to return a car - new or used. It's yours now. You can keep it, or sell/trade it in at a loss. It's your choice. Used cars are sold "as is" and the risk is al on the buyer.

Man, I wish you wouldn't excuse your failure to inspect the car better by "Oh, poor little me, I'm just a woman!" Your attitude is holding your gender back.

Whether you can return the car and cancel the loan depends on state law and the terms of the contract you signed.

If it were me, I'd give the seller the opportunity to make everything right before I did anything further.

• Ron

There are no lemon laws for used cars in Michigan unless it's still under the manufacturers warranty. Can you cancel? That would be up to the dealer. 

• Eva

Most places have a 3 day cancellation clause on contracts.  That's 3 business days, so the weekend days don't count.  Look up the law in your state.

• Barry

Of course you can't cancel the loan. You contracted to buy the car on finance so you are stuck with it. So you found four faults two of which the dealer has generously agreed to fix. Ask the dealer if he can fix the other two issues. He may do so for free. Was there a short warranty with the car? If not haggle hard to get the cost down. Even if you could return the car I expect it will cost you dear. And the next used car you buy may have even more faults.