Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 month ago

I got bitten by a rat. Do I need rabies shots?

It was in the middle of the night last night and I went down in my garage because something was scratching on the door. I walked around to look because I couldn’t see anything because it was dark but I was in there with bare feet because I was wearing pajamas and later on I felt something very sharp latch on to my right big toe for a few seconds and then let go. Turns out after turning on my flash light on my phone it was a big rat. I called my local urgent care this morning and all they told me was to get a tetanus shot and watch signs for rat bite fever but not rabie shots.

What they said apparently rats don’t carry rabies which I was surprised to hear but not sure I can really believe that. I’m really nervous now.

Right now there are two small red wound dots on my toe where the rat bit me and it hurts. Is there anything else I should be concerned about like rabies?

The reason I get nervous like that is because I had go get rabie shots because one time a bat came at behind me and bit me in the back of my neck. It just wasn’t a fun experience for me.

Maybe not rabies treatment, but other than a pet rat getting the bite examined is a good idea.

Ask your doctor not random stranger on the internet.  

Rodents very rarely if ever carry rabies and the reason for that is very simple rodents are fairly delicate an animal large enough to carry rabies if they should bite the rat would kill the ratput antibiotic ointment on it and next time don't be walking around in your bare feet