Is this normal, or should I get it checked out? Possible the fuel pump?

Was sitting in my car for a while, after the gas was still fine. But as soon as I reached my destination my car was below. There’s wasn’t any sign from the car signaling I’m out of gas. So I tried driving it to the gas station about a mile or less away. As I got close to it it started to kick or stall. After fillin  

I drove home and it continued to do so not as much. And i tried driving really slow around my street to see if it was ok. Stalled about once. Y’all think this something you would get checked out?

You could check the fuel pressure in the system by using a gauge on the fuel rail. It could be your fuel pump failing, or a clogged fuel filter, if you have one. Some cars don't have a fuel filter and only have the fuel screen on the pump itself inside the fuel tank. If you check your fuel pressure and it's less than what it should be, I would look into replacing the pump, if there is no fuel filter to replace first.

If you were to take it me I probably would connect a pressure gauge to the fuel line under the hood and test drive it to see if the fuel pump or fuel filter is suspect. Or plug in the DRB and test drive to see if the O2 sensors were showing the same results. That's what I did for 23 years before I retired from a Chrysler/Dodge dealership.

• F

I might be able to help if I could actually understand what you are saying.

Nah. Just drive it hard...not really slow.   Hard make a fuel pump work to keep up and it should.  If it don't and you stall out. then start it and have it checked by a mechanic. He can only fix what is actually broken. 50/50 does not cut it. All or nothing.

OBD2 code scanners tell the truth. They don't lie. Pull your car's trouble codes.

Take a gas sample in a mason jar and let it sit for 20 minutes. See of there is water in the bottom of the jar.

Sometimes it can be as simple as stopping facing up a hill when low on fuel and getting air or water in the system.  But if not, and you're not mechanically-minded, then you can probably save loads of wasted time by getting your local mechanic to check out the fuel-supply system and pump.

Start by changing the fuel filter, if that does not solve it get a pressure test done on the fule line which will tell you if the pump is good. It could be other things but I would start with the least expensive first.

Yes - how old is the car?  how many miles on the car?  mechanical or electrical fuel pump?  carb or fuel injection?  HOW LONG/MILES SINCE FUEL FILTER WAS REPLACED.

From what you said it could be the fuel pump, it could be a plugged fuel filter also, possibly something else. Better get it checked and repaired before you are walking with the car at the side of the road.