John asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

If someone accuses me or insults me and tries to get under my skin what is the best thing to do?

• Mr. P

If they are older than you, then consider they will die before you do. You can tell them that. Or just laugh at what they are saying - especially if it is wrong. If you can correct them on any facts it really annoys them, particularly punctuation.

Such as "why don't you go home to your own country"- you say - I was born here and this is my country.

Or you could pretend to be a bit deaf and ask them to repeat what they say. This can signify you want to fight, so it really confuses them when you say "Ok", smile and just walk away at that point.

NEVER loose your temper, or shout, and remember they are trying to get a reaction out of you.

Sometimes it works if you have information on them. Something they don't want their friends to know about - like the last time they had head lice. Just say something like "I hope your friends know where they got their head lice from - are you clear of that now?" Or "How is that pee problem going?" - even if untrue it will make them uneasy and their friends start to wonder.

• Andy

Just say, "You know, you're absolutely right! What do I need to do to change?"  

Laugh loudly, and walk away chuckling. Drives 'em nuts. 

I think you decide whether you care or not. If someone is doing something with the intention of pissing you off then let them tie themselves in knots. It’s more amusing to see their reaction when it didn’t work. 

I used to have that sort of problem as well.  Nowadays, if anyone tries to do that to me, I look them straight in the eye and say: "I don't know why you would say something like that, you must be having a really bad day, for you to want to try hurt someone like this."  Now stop being nasty to me and making yourself look bad.

Threaten to sue them. Say that you have a lawyer in the family.

• Chanel

It depends on the situation. If a person insulted me I would say "you are being abusive now. I'm not listening" and walk away.

I did that at a place I was working. I said to my colleague "could you take over for 5 minutes?" and walked away and the customer shouted "she don't wanna serve me".

Another thing I would suggest is saying "what medication are you on cos I don't think it helps?"

• kelvin

walk away and ignore them

Find a new crowd to hang out with.

Obviously, you handle them as you have been taught to do from childhood by your parents.

You assert yourself in a healthy way by not raising your voice, making total eye contact, remaining cool and never acting out and you TAKE CONTROL OF THE SITUATION.  You remain in control with your eyes locked on theirs and never flinching.  You stand up to them in a powerful way that makes them think twice about what they are attempting to do.  You remain in control always.

You know, you were taught these skills as a child.  Use them.