Not sure if the evaporator and condenser have different wattage ratings?

So, the evaporate is the inside unit, and the condenser (in my case the type is a heat pump) is outside.

I notice there is a wattage rating on the inside unit. When the central ac is running and both of these units run, can I assume the wattage is what is said on the evaporator? Or will the condenser also have a separate set of specs relating specifically to it?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

You are correct.  The condenser has a separate wattage rating (or amps rating) and it is very much larger than the evaporator.

• 1 month ago

they have separate specs and both draw power at near the rated amounts

• 1 month ago

The biggest electrical load with any AC unit or heat pump is the compressor which is located in the outside condenser unit. Its consumption is much, much large than the air handler (evaporator) inside. The inside unit only has a large fan as its electrical load when in the air condition mode. 

In the heat pump mode, the inside unit also has an emergency electrical heating coil that periodically provide heat to the house when the outside unit freezes up and has to be thawed. It does this automatically but there is usually an indication on the thermostat when it is happening. Should the heat pump fail then that same electrical heating coil provides heat to the house until you can get the heat pump repaired.

Even with the emergency heating coil the inside unit still has a much lower power requirement than the outside unit.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

They will have separate ratings.  Unless it a newer mini split.  The evaporater gets its power from the condenser unit.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.